• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is This a Tick Bite?

Hello Everyone

I recently discovered what I think is some kind of insect bite behind my knee that I do not recognize. I am wondering if it could be caused by a tick?

I know it doesn’t have the bullseye rash. But it is red, had a white spot in the center and has a hard bump.

I know all bites can be different from person to person and in different areas of the body but just wondering if anyone can help identify whether this is a Tick bite or not.

I have attached several images of the area. The first 2 images are from yesterday, the day I discovered the mark and the next 2 images are from today.

Thanks

IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0747.JPG IMG_0755.JPG IMG_0756.JPG

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I know all bites can be different from person to person and in different areas of the body but just wondering if anyone can help identify whether this is a Tick bite or not.
From my understanding, it would be very hard to identify a tick bite by appearance, minus the bulls-eye rash (which isn't always there). Your doctor might want to test you (I think it takes a few weeks for a positive to show) or, if you are in an area with a lot of ticks, some doctors give a prophylactic round of the appropriate antibiotic "just in case."

Gingergrrl

@cobain_justinsane Can you see a dermatologist or someone who is familiar with what different types of bites look like? I had to do this recently b/c I had a spider bite. Mine did not have a bulls-eye rash and there really are not ticks in my area. The bite that I had was extremely itchy and grew to an enormous size b/c I had a horrible inflammatory reaction to it (b/c I have MCAS). I was given Clobetasol cream 2x/day and it is now gone. Do you live in an area with ticks or were you outdoors when it happened?

Wolfcub

It's hard to tell definitely from looking at it.
It would depend where you live and whether or not you have been in places you could have got a Tick bite (long grass/woodlands or even a garden or park....sat on the grass? Or were you doing garden work, especially wearing shorts or loose clothing and pants not tucked into socks? Deer about?)

With a Tick bite you may have noticed a swollen Tick on you before it dropped off. To not have one on your skin when you first noticed that bite means it either wasn't one or it had dropped off. They grip pretty tightly while they are feeding and if that was the case it would have been on you maybe a couple of days. In that time you may have noticed it at least while showering?
Even a "nymph" Tick will swell when it is feeding and will be attached really tightly as a black object or a tiny black lump.
But of course you might not have noticed. Many people say they don't itch while they are attached.

The greatest danger with Tick bites is how long they have been there. Getting a Tick off within the first few hours doesn't normally lead to Lyme or Tick borne disease.

An ordinary insect bite can get a pus-filled centre sometimes.

Does it itch like a mosquito bite or similar?

i Am trying to identify what kind of insect bit my son just a few weeks before everything started. It did not have a red bump or a bulls eye rash. It was a blue-black bump. He has tested positive for bartonella and babesia although I have read that other Insect bites can also result in positive testing.