• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there an easy way to get Itraconazole ? prescription antifungal ( in the UK )

Tsukareta

I developed a bunch of strange symptoms in the past 18 months following a period of about a year where I noticed a subtle but noticeable cognitive decline e.g. marked reduction in ability to learn or draw, I can't see an obvious explanation for this trend nor do my symptoms seem to match any regular disease. I suspect its due to damage from mycotoxin exposure, possibly from my home which has a high ERMI score ( 17 ) with mostly unknown source for the detected molds ( thankfully its not stachybotrys, or rather its barely detectable ). Great plains lab urine test showed 3 were elevated several times above normal, but many including the nasty tricothenes were undetectable. I don't know how much to trust these tests though as they are only held to be valuable in the mold community not by mainstream science / medicine. The strange thing is I lived in this house continually since 2010 and did not experience any of these symptoms ( only CFS/ME since 2015 ), but it wasn't until after I lived somewhere else for 7 months in 2020 ( a difficult time ) then moved back home, that I started to experience the symptoms which I can only attribute to mold toxicity.

I have moved into a tent in the garden since 6 weeks ago and my health has stabilized, its not getting worse, neurological symptoms have mainly cleared up and brain function improved but still less than usual. I found a couple of detox protocols online, both mention the use of either nystatin or Itraconazole. One is from a doctor called Andrew Campbell who claims to represent mainstream science, and is sceptical of CIRS and the Shoemaker doctors, and binders, and urine mycotoxin testing, but he does recommend the use of this drug Itraconazole.

At this point im willing to try anything that might help but I cant find an easy source for this prescription medication, around 5 years ago I was able to get a good quantity of a drug called Propranolol, which had previously been prescribed to me through the normal channels, but I got this one from overseas without providing a prescription, I think the company might have been Gold Pharma but they seem to have changed their policies now ? i'm looking for a similar service to that though. I can try to get this drug through my GP but I just doubt they will be willing seeing as I lack any outward signs of a mold infection, and I know how the NHS are about following guidelines and tests. I did find one site that seemed to sell this drug but it seemed fairly obscure and the payment method required is complex and difficult for me ( they wanted a bank wire transfer or something else and theres no branch of my bank in my town anymore ).

Treeman

I got itraconazole for an fungal nail infection from my GP. The NHS recommendations are for 3 months, but as the infection wouldn't clear (immune system not working well!) I got it for 3 years until it did clear. I had to fight them every inch of the way, but my trump card was always the fact that the persistent infection could be seen.

Tsukareta

Ok thanks, i've just started to consider whether my health issues might actually be due to Candida, rather than mycotoxins ( environmental or internal source), I was dismissive of this one in the past because I thought it would cause my external symptoms, but one of my initial new symptoms that predated the others was bloating / stomach pain / stomach gas that correlated with periods where I felt increased tiredness / in a sort of crash.

Hip

I got itraconazole for an fungal nail infection from my GP.

It may not be your case, but sometimes what appears to be a nail fungal infection is actually nail psoriasis, which looks very similar, but does not respond to antifungals, as it is an autoimmune condition. I know someone who had this, and their NHS GP tried all sorts of antifungals, to no avail. Only after seeing an NHS consultant was it diagnosed as nail psoriasis.

Interestingly, this person develop this nail psoriasis after catching the same Coxsackie B virus which triggered my ME/CFS.

Hip

I suspect its due to damage from mycotoxin exposure, possibly from my home which has a high ERMI score ( 17 ) with mostly unknown source for the detected molds ( thankfully its not stachybotrys, or rather its barely detectable ).

Have you looked into the theory proposed by Dr Brewer that in mouldy homes, mould may colonise the nasal passages, constantly releasing mycotoxins into the bloodstream? Dr Brewer treats his ME/CFS patients with an antifungal nasal spray. You can make your own version of this spray in the way describe in this thread.

Treeman

It may not be your case, but sometimes what appears to be a nail fungal infection is actually nail psoriasis, which looks very similar, but does not respond to antifungals, as it is an autoimmune condition.

Before they would prescribe it I had to give them a sample of my nail which was investigated under a microscope for fungal threads. They found them.

Tsukareta

Have you looked into the theory proposed by Dr Brewer that in mouldy homes, mould may colonise the nasal passages, constantly releasing mycotoxins into the bloodstream? Dr Brewer treats his ME/CFS patients with an antifungal nasal spray. You can make your own version of this spray in the way describe in this thread.
Yes, I saw a Youtube video featuring him, I looked into the mold illness topic fairly deeply this year, this time last year I did two different VCS tests which both said my vision wasn't normal, but I had to restart my disability pay before I could do more tests, this year I did the ERMI and GPL urine mycotoxin test, which both showed mold problems, but mainstream doctors don't seem to accept the value of these test methods e.g. Dr Andrew Campbell. I think theres good reason to be skeptical about CIRS especially because Dr Shoemaker has moved away from his own claims about mold towards bacteria instead.

I don't believe my illness is CIRS masquerading as ME/CFS because like many it began suddenly during / straight after an obvious viral infection, with little prior warning, though I did have panic disorder and general anxiety disorder for a few months earlier in that year, and there were some isolated occasions around then when I felt 'odd' with no apparent cause, once was in a room I had just worked on which had high levels of VOCs from silicone sealant which I used a large amount of to fill the gaps in a simple wooden building, I was trying to insulate it from the cold and outdoor noise. Another time I felt strangely ill after eating very sugary chocolatey cereal we have here called Krave, which I had eaten a good few times before with no ill effect, and around that time I also remember checking myself with a finger prick machine to make sure I didn't have diabetes, so I was probably feeling off normal frequently enough to think something was wrong, but in the years prior I was completely healthy.

The new issues i'm having began only after I lived somewhere else for half a year which most people would consider an unhealthy dirty environment, and I was also pushing myself beyond my normal pacing, I didn't notice any change to my health but when the coronavirus lockdown started I felt more stressed and my mental health started to get bad, which is unusual nowadays. Shortly after that there was some sort of water leak down the side of the building and a large pool of water formed on the ground outside, which created a foul smell as if it were a sewage leak, but I was told this was just stagnant water ( it was contaminated though with food and other rubbish ), when the weather got warm this got worse and it started to affect me a lot, and this went on for weeks, I started to get an unusual nausea and I blocked up the windows, which then caused a lot of mildew to grow in the room I was in. When my usual hayfever arrived it was different, much more of an intense abnormal reaction like a burning in the throat, similar to what Erick Johnson describes about some of his experiences with the Lake Tahoe CFS outbreak. When I returned to my usual home thats when the stomach problems and neurological decline seemed to start, and I was more chemical sensitive to the carpets, which were only 2 or 3 years old but less of an issue previously, more of an airway irritant than a chemical sensitivity trigger. Also my father isn't ill despite spending similar amounts of time in the house to me,

hapl808

I have no idea. My ME/CFS started in SE Asia in the late 90's. Around 10 years ago I had a few encounters that drastically worsened my existing allergies and chemical sensitivities - from mild annoyances to moving constantly despite constant crashes because I couldn't breathe anywhere.

I saw a Shoemaker protege who I think was a bit of a charlatan. My personal opinion is that there is definitely something to CIRS, but we're still in the shadows on the wall phase and the complex explanations of VEGF and MARCONS and VCS and CSM just don't really hold up empirically. Wish I knew, but I've mostly stabilized those symptoms and my environments, learned when to wear masks and avoid things that could disturb, etc. I don't have much of a life anyways (housebound or bedbound), so these aren't as difficult as they would've been.