• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Kratom a similar alternative to cannabis?

SmokinJoeFraz93

I’ve been using cannabis daily to help fatigue and pain issues. I’ve started to get a bad stomach which I think is something to do with th1/th2 immune system.

Are there any other alternatives that are just as effective as cannabis?

Cheers.

jesse's mom

I had to stop using THC to go adhere to the new laws in the US for pain management. It did take a while to get accustomed to. It helped me very much!

I took Kratom a few times, but it was in capsule form. It is supposed to be good for pain relief, It did not do me much good. I think I was using it wrong. Taken brewed as a tea is one way to go. some people just drink it with water.

Unfortunately it is now illegal in my state. :bang-head::bang-head:

belize44

Kratom helped at times, but I couldn't get a consistent response. I did make me throw up a few times, so alas, no more Kratom for me.

valentinelynx

Kratom works on the mu opioid receptors, but interestingly in a different way than true opioids, so that it doesn't cause respiratory depression. It's hard to get enough in capsule form, at least cost effectively. Drinking it as a tea is an option, but some say it's less effective for pain that way, because the heat affects the alkaloids. It is hard on the stomach, for some. If you haven't had any benefit from it for pain, it's likely you had a poor source, or an insufficient dose. If you are tolerant to opioids, you will need a higher dose of kratom as well.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I’ve been using cannabis daily to help fatigue and pain issues. I’ve started to get a bad stomach which I think is something to do with th1/th2 immune system.

Are there any other alternatives that are just as effective as cannabis?

Cheers.

Kratom is basically a commercially available, unregulated, addictive opioid. Avoid it.

I strongly recommend learning the meditation for pain techniques at the Headspace app website. They can reduce pain intensity by 50%. This halves the need for strong pain medication (opioids) so you can use them for up to three days on and three days off and avoid tolerance and addiction.