• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting article about post-concussion persistence:note the similarity to ME

The big question when it comes to PCS is why a relatively small percentage of people develope it. Personally, I suspect a common sense answer of concussion severity, or severity of head injury probably plays a big part. I say this based on seeing first hand how PCS seems to be relatively common in military personnel victims of, say, powerful IED blasts versus PCS being less statistically common in those who suffer head injuries from contact sports.

@Dichotohmy, it might also depend upon previous history. There's increasing evidence to suggest that even minor impact to the head - not sufficient to result in loss of conscious - may significantly compromise neural function if it is sustained frequently and repeatedly. Concussion in someone with this sort of history may have more severe consequences.

Also, location, speed and angle of impact might have a huge effect. Some types of impact may induce more twisting and shearing of white matter than others. PCS probably results when this level of twisting/shearing is intermediate between "none" and "sufficiently extensive to be readily detectable damage using MRI".

I guess that's similar to what you're saying.