• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increased neutrophil apoptosis in chronic fatigue syndrome

JasonUT

Any thoughts on the following?

Increased neutrophil apoptosis in chronic fatigue syndrome
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770396/

Any other topics, articles, or discussions relating neutropenia and CFS?

Any thoughts on how to increase neutrophil count and prevent premature neutrophil apoptosis?

Personally, I appear to be showing a mild case of cyclical neutropenia. My level of absolute neutrophil count appears to correspond to my symptoms and CFS/ME flares. The lower the neutrophil count (1500-1900) the worst my symptoms and the higher my neutrophil count (2500-2900) the better my symptoms. This appears to follow a ~22-23 day cycle. The hemotologist is reluctant to try a G-CSF trial because he considers my neutropenia mild.

Last edited:

wigglethemouse

Any other topics, articles, or discussions relating neutropenia and CFS?
The UK Accumen test for ME patients uses Neutrophils. Karl Morten wrote a report on replication work and noted neutrophils were quick to die off if left in the tube. Perhaps that happened in the paper you quote?
https://meassociation.org.uk/wp-con...al-Function-in-MECFS-Acumen-Test-21.08.19.pdf

Happy reading, It seems test method is very important when doing research on Neutrophils.

Paul Fisher and Karl Morten have both reported that PBMC's seem to die off quicker in ME patients after blood draw, than in healthy controls. Fisher published last year, Karl Morten was in an interview I believe. That is another reference to why the paper might have the findings it did.