• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increased activity to the parasympathetic nervous system

Hi

I started taking Mestonin for orthostatic hypotension 4 days ago (60mg once a day) My cardiologist has said it can increase the activity of the parasympathetic nervous system which might help me and it’s good for pain.

I am tolerating it well in terms of common side effects, however, it has increased my face pain by a lot! I get awful face, throat and neck pain generally as a symptom especially when over exterted or in a flare but not constant. I can’t understand this as I have read that pain should be reduced by activating the vagus nerve and in turn the parasympathetic system. Would stimulating the vagus nerve cause symptoms of nerve pain initially? I.e the vagus nerve being so underactive for so long and stimulating it quickly by taking Metonin. I have reduced the meds to 30mg but that weirdly made it worse! I do feel it’s helping my OI and general fatigue. I also wonder if I need a larger dose being a larger lady (125kg)

I have searched this forum and articles on the web regarding but can’t find anything about the above. So I thought I’d ask you knowledgable lot.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: