• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Income Protection Insurance Australia

Haley

Hi All,

I've been managing to work part time since initially getting sick (5 1/2 years) but it's been getting harder over the past few months as I'm sliding from mild towards moderate. I only just remembered that I have income protection insurance (thanks brain fog), and am wondering if anyone has any experience or advice with making a claim for partial disability through income protection insurance.

I am studying with the aim of getting a desk job that I can do, but it will be another year or so until I can get a job in that field.

I have read that there may also be a condition that if they pay out once for a condition, that they will not may out again for the same condition. That's a bit of a worry for me... what would happen if I can't work after a few years in the new profession?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this area , or where I can get some more info? I'm trying to gather info before contacting the insurer as I'm sure they will try to get out of paying anything.

Thanks in advance!

Dechi

These things are so particular from one country to the next, and from one insurance company and even contract to another, that you really should consult an attorney. You might have to pay for 1 hour of their time but at least you’ll have the right answer.

Do your research and find someone knowledgeable in chronic illnesses, and particularly ME.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
@Haley

Maurice Blackburn used to be associated with Emerge and said they offered legal advice to ME sufferers. I referred someone from PR to Maurice Blackburn some years ago for a disability insurance claim and they were able to help.

I suggest you contact Emerge as a starting point.

Haley

@Haley

Maurice Blackburn used to be associated with Emerge and said they offered legal advice to ME sufferers. I referred someone from PR to Maurice Blackburn some years ago for a disability insurance claim and they were able to help.

I suggest you contact Emerge as a starting point.

Great, thanks for the info. I'll contact them next week and see what they say.

lafarfelue

Great, thanks for the info. I'll contact them next week and see what they say.

Best of luck, I hope you get the info you need and that it's favourable. :thumbsup:

Please do update here if/when you're able.

(I've been thinking along similar lines as my illness progresses, so I must admit that it's a not entirely unselfish request. :oops:)

Haley

Best of luck, I hope you get the info you need and that it's favourable. :thumbsup:

Please do update here if/when you're able.

(I've been thinking along similar lines as my illness progresses, so I must admit that it's a not entirely unselfish request. :oops:)

I'll definitely post when I get some answers.

Nothing wrong with slightly unselfish requests - trying to work out the legal and financial aspects of this disease is a bit too much on top of everything else o_O
Its good to be able to share knowledge for the greater good:)

Haley

Emerge got back to me - they had no recommendations other than ask on the online forums or speak to a lawyer (couldn't recommended anyone).

Although I was half expecting this answer, it's still disappointing....

lafarfelue

Emerge got back to me - they had no recommendations other than ask on the online forums or speak to a lawyer (couldn't recommended anyone).

Although I was half expecting this answer, it's still disappointing....

Ah, that's a shame, sorry to hear this.

@AndyPandy how long ago did you refer another pwME to Maurice Blackburn? Are you still in touch with them? Just wondering if that person had a particular contact there that may still be practicing and contactable.