• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IgG4 Anti‐Gliadin Autoantibody as a Potential Biomarker of Psoriasis

pattismith

Discovery of IgG4 Anti‐Gliadin Autoantibody as a Potential Biomarker of Psoriasis Using an Autoantigen Array

Jingyi Qiu
Yulin Yuan
Yaxi Li
Christopher Haley

First published: 31 October 2019

https://doi.org/10.1002/prca.201800114
Citations: 2
Read the full text

Abstract
Purpose
Psoriasis is a complex immunological skin disease. However, whether humoral autoimmunity is involved in the pathogenesis of psoriasis remains unclear. The aim is to determine if there are autoantibodies associated with disease activity of psoriasis.

Experimental Design
A novel autoantigen array harboring 75 antigens is developed to discover autoantibodies in the serum of psoriasis patients (N = 12) compared to healthy controls (N = 12). Validation studies are performed in a larger cohort of psoriasis patients (N = 73) and healthy controls (N = 75) together with atopic dermatitis as disease controls (N = 10).

Results
The screening results demonstrate that immunoglobulin G4 (IgG4) anti‐gliadin autoantibodies are significantly elevated in the serum of psoriasis patients, compared to healthy controls. Receiver operating characteristic (ROC) analysis indicates that IgG4 anti‐gliadin autoantibody levels can clearly discriminate psoriasis patients from healthy controls with an AUC of 0.98 (p < 0.001). Also, IgG4 anti‐gliadin autoantibody can reflect disease severity with the psoriasis area severity index score in a subpopulation of psoriasis patients.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance
These results suggest that IgG4 anti‐gliadin autoantibody may be a disease marker of psoriasis, and it may be useful in clinical diagnostics and disease monitoring of psoriasis.

Clinical Relevance
This work represents a relatively comprehensive screening of autoantibodies, that is, IgG4 autoantibodies in psoriasis using an in‐house autoantigen array. This novel proteomic platform may be useful in clinical screening of IgG type or IgG4 subtype autoantibodies in psoriasis patients for disease monitoring or drug responses. Particularly, IgG4 anti‐gliadin autoantibody, as a new potential disease marker of psoriasis, may be useful in clinical diagnostics or prognostics of related immunological disorders.

sometexan84

Here's a newb question I'd like to know...

I've seen these IgG sub-classes mentioned in reference to certain auto-antibodies associated w/ this and that... like Myelin proteolipid protein PLP (IgG1, IgG3), or the one here w/ Anti-Gliadin (IgG4).

I'm curious how important these sub-classes are. Like, there isn't really an IgG4 test for Gliadin, for instance. If someone does a regular Anti-Gliadin test (IgG + IgA), would something like "IgG4" and other sub-classes of IgG be included, where IgG is just a sum of all the IgG subclasses together?

I mean, the sub-classes seem to be important or these studies wouldn't mention them. Does anyone know about this?

pattismith

I'm curious how important these sub-classes are. Like, there isn't really an IgG4 test for Gliadin, for instance. If someone does a regular Anti-Gliadin test (IgG + IgA), would something like "IgG4" and other sub-classes of IgG be included, where IgG is just a sum of all the IgG subclasses together?

I mean, the sub-classes seem to be important or these studies wouldn't mention them. Does anyone know about this?

yes, IgG is the sum of all the four IgG subclasses.

Auto antibodies can belong to any of the four subclasses.

I have currently elevated IgG4 subclass and got a flare of my polyenthesitis 2 weeks after the live flu vaccine, Vaxigrip. This particular vaccine is well known to trigger Psoriasis, so I wonder if my Enthesitis is related to psoriasis and PsA. I don't have typical skin lesion of psoriasis, so no way to check this hypothesis.
Antigliadin IgG4 is probably not commonly available, unfortunately...

sometexan84

I've never done the IgG sub-classes before, I've only done the IgG, IgM, IgA, and IgE and was normal on those. Been thinking about testing the sub-classes though.

All I know is I had only a single flare of acute Guttate Psoriasis (it was bad, but only had it the one time) and it was related to the Strep infection I didn't know I had. The M protein in Strep cross-reacts w/ keratin.

This is the first I've heard of Enthesitis. Have you looked into Ankylosing Spondylitis? (I think Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (ASCA) is associated w/ AS, but that's all I got on that)

pattismith

This is the first I've heard of Enthesitis. Have you looked into Ankylosing Spondylitis? (I think Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (ASCA) is associated w/ AS, but that's all I got on that)

Spondylitis never show up in my xray and I am HLAB27 negative. After 30 years of illness, no evidence showed up for this diagnosis.

My half sister has Psoriasis. We always assumed that she got it from her father, but I wonder if my illness may be related to hers.

sometexan84

You may already be aware, but you can get your whole set of HLA alleles done for around like $200, and this is the high res next gen sequencing, the best. (as long as you don't mind waiting 2 weeks for results)

These are mine. It shows your maternal and paternal allele in each group.

1610400520956.png

Looks like there are others associated w/ Psoriasis:

HLA-C*06 (specifically HLA-C*06:02)

There might be others.

Anyway, it was nice to find my risk alleles. Then I could research all the associations to shine a little more light on conditions and antibodies I may or may not have.

1610401108258.png