• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IGG subclass 3 deficiency and NK cells

Hoosierfans

My IGG subclass 3 continues to come back low. It was low prior to trying IVIG, normalized during IVIG treatment (although symptoms didn’t improve) and now that I’ve been off IVIG for a year it’s back in the toilet.

I read somewhere that IGG Subclass 3 is an indicator of NK cell function. Is this accurate?

Garz

not sure about that - aren't NK cells part of the innate immune system
while antibodies are made by the cells in the adaptive immune response?

in case its of interest - low NK cells and low IGG subclasses are associated with chronic lyme disease
a subset of NK cells called CD57+ cells in particular are thought to be highly associated with lyme disease and recovery of this cell count to normal range is though to precede recovery/remission. its used as a kind of supplemental diagnostic test and to evaluate treatment progress for this reason.

anecdotally - several people in the lyme forum i am a member of have low NK cells and v low CD57+ counts and some also have low IGG subclasses - most have counts that have stayed low when serially tested - rather than recovered - but they are also still on the forum - and mostly still sick

its documented in the scientific literature that the organism that causes lyme disease is known to infect and disrupt the functioning of germinal centres in the lymph nodes - which is where the body learns what pathogens are being encountered by the innate immune system - and decides what antibodies to make in response, to fight a given infection. This happens very shortly after initial infection - its thought that this is one of the reasons why some people never make expected antibodies to the organism.

i would have to double check - but NK cells may be one of the cell types that take the message to the germinal centres to teach the B cells what antibodies to make

immunoglobulins ( IgA, IgG etc ) are basically antibodies

Hoosierfans

Thanks. Yeah it was an off handed comment on Reddit so I was like — is that true? I’ve never had my NK cell levels looked at, so it piqued my interest.

I’m meeting w my immunologist next week so I’ll ask.