• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypokalemia

junkcrap50

There is something called “hypomagnesemia induced hypokalemia”.

Magnesium deficiency can exacerbate potassium deficiency by causing potassium wasting. And you can’t replenish any potassium until you fix your magnesium deficiency.

Just a possibility.

Neunistiva

I too have constantly low potassium for years, even while supplementing with prescription potassium powder.

I am not on any medication that should be able to reduce potassium. On the contrary, I am taking beta-blockers which should increase potassium levels.

My magnesium serum and urine level are slightly elevated, so it's not that either.

I have IBS-D but only small amount of potassium is excreted through stool, most is excreted through urine.

I have no idea why I have hypokalemia.

Neunistiva

Potassium blood level is controlled by the hormone aldosterone. High aldosterone can cause low potassium levels.

Fludrocortisone is a synthetic hormone which works like aldosterone.

High doses of B12 can also cause low potassium.

I had aldosterone/renin ratio test and it was normal. Normal CBC, normal levels of B12 and serum homocysteine.

Jyoti

I had aldosterone/renin ratio test and it was normal. Normal CBC, normal levels of B12 and serum homocysteine.

Same here. My potassium levels fluctuate a lot but do dip down into hypokalemic territory from time to time, and I often have to supplement with Rx potassium. No one has ever been able to figure out why. It is scary to lose so much so quickly as your friend @cfsfaithhopelove. It feels awful too. I hope she can get some answers and/or at least find a way to retain a safe level of both potassium and magnesium.

Busson

I too have constantly low potassium for years, even while supplementing with prescription potassium powder.

... ... ...

I have no idea why I have hypokalemia.

@Jyoti @Neunistiva When hypokalemia becomes severe it can cause profound muscle stiffness which results in pain on stretching muscles resulting in a mild form of paralysis. Many of those who suffer from this "Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis" can trace it back to a genetic defect although there are other possible causes too.

Last edited:

Neunistiva

When hypokalemia becomes severe it can cause profound muscle stiffness which results in pain on stretching muscles resulting in a mild form of paralysis. Many of those who suffer from this "Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis" can trace it back to a genetic defect although there are other possible causes too.

Yeah, severe hypokalemia has many symptoms, including death, but luckily I caught it before it became severe and with prescription supplements I'm only mildly hypokalemic.

At least, my plasma levels are low, who knows, my cells might have normal levels...

I never suffered from paralysis.