• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypersensitivity to dental treatment

I have not been to the dentist since i got ME In 2006. I used to pass out at the dentist before I got ME and i now have severe ME but know I’ve got a couple of broken teeth and need couple of fillings.

I have severe ME and know I must go to the dentist but easily get sensory overload. I’ve just got no idea what to do. I’ve managed to get an NHS dentist appointment at the end of June and I am going to email the dentist. Just making it into the dentist terrifies me. When they even scrape my teeth for me it’s just pure agony. The last injection I had before a filling made me pass out.

I feel I’ll get really sick going to the dentist and am wondering if total sedation would mean I can get treatment but unsure what to do.

I’ve always felt a lot of pain and just am fearful of getting sicke.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This is a hard one because it does sound like you need the sedation dentistry but we also have to be careful of anesthesia.

Also I didn't realize until I reacted to it that what they call Novocain these days is not really Novocain any longer. I did okay with the old stuff but the new stuff has epinephrine in it.

I found a warning the other day for PwME that said we should ask for that w/o the epinephrine. (I'm not able to find that site again but here are some others.)
(@Emmarose47 you might also find the links below helpful for your procedure coming up. ??)

Some of these are repeat info:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0002817714607169
https://drlapp.com/resources/advice-for-pwcs-anticipating-anesthesia-or-surgery/
https://ammes.org/anesthesia-recommendations-for-mecfs-patients/

Emmarose47

Hi Sally
I hear u it's a tough call isn't it.
I'm due to the hospital soon (NHS for womb stuff.. I spoke to the anethetist today and am not in favour of general anesthetic so exploring other options. I think I'm going to go for spinal block ( local anesthetic...
For me I'm more worried about having to organise the things to. Support me going and the potential flare up rather than actually having procedures.

Sounds a good plan to get in touch with the dentist to explore your options.. I know dental hospitals are used sometimes and sedation an option..

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I spoke to the anethetist today and am not in favour of general anesthetic so exploring other options.
Two of those sites mentioned that, "Propofol, midazolam, and fentanyl are generally well-tolerated."

I'm pretty sure it was Propofol that I had for my colonoscopy which they called a "twilight sleep." I was younger then but did okay on that one. (Just in case they won't let you do the spinal block.)

YippeeKi YOW !!

I feel I’ll get really sick going to the dentist and am wondering if total sedation would mean I can get treatment but unsure what to do.
I totally feel your worries ..... I'm in the same stich, with a mouth that's falling apart, partly due to chemo, mostly due to a truly crap dentist I went to to undo some of the chemo damage to my teeth. What he did to me was criminal, but I was in no shape to fight it then, and when the ME hit, even less so.

And like you, I've always been dentist-phobic. which makes it even worse.

But now I'm terrified by the ;possible repercussions of the anaesthesia, and the inevitability of ABX, whose effects could be devastating .... in the meanwhile my mouth cont's to deteriorate at an alarming pace .... am really scared, plus I feel like a coward, a sort of double win :wide-eyed::wide-eyed: :meh: :jaw-drop: .....

Mouse girl

Can you get laughing gas? People seem to really love that stuff. With this illness, we tend to need more novacaine and it takes longer to take effect and you could let the dentist know this. You got to go though because your teeth will only get worse which will mean, more dental work or losing your teeth which is not good. I need alot of time to recover from dental trips, just all the driving and sitting up so long and holding my mouth open. I had so much work done on Friday and i'm still recovering, but my health is a bit crap still but getting stronger. Do you have an anti anxiety meds you can take so you don't feel so scared? Or can you ask the dentist about this? It's very common for people to have loads of anxiety about dental visits, so it wouldn't be a strange request. So sorry you are in this position. I got more dry mouth than usual and had to get 11 teeth worked on! my dentist couldn't believe how bad my teeth got in just a year and 1/2.

Propophol is known to be easy for most cfs/me patients. I had it a few times over the years for dental surgery and for the thing where they do down your throat and up your digestive track? Propophol was wonderful! Best naps i have ever had since getting sick! And no side effects from it.

I really hope this goes ok for you. so sorry you are going through this.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
I have not been to the dentist since i got ME In 2006. I used to pass out at the dentist before I got ME and i now have severe ME but know I’ve got a couple of broken teeth and need couple of fillings.

I have severe ME and know I must go to the dentist but easily get sensory overload. I’ve just got no idea what to do. I’ve managed to get an NHS dentist appointment at the end of June and I am going to email the dentist. Just making it into the dentist terrifies me. When they even scrape my teeth for me it’s just pure agony. The last injection I had before a filling made me pass out.

I’ve always felt a lot of pain and just am fearful of getting sicke.

Hello there, how are you doing? Were you able to make it to your appointment? Wishing well thoughts for your mouth. In a tricky situation myself.