• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to get rid of fluid in Eustachian tube (middle ear)?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
My left ear felt plugged and full so I visited my doctor last week and he said it wasn't infected, but there was a lot of fluid in my middle ear. I left his office with a box of pseudoephedrine, but I don't like to take it because it's drying out my already dry eyes and increasing the volume on the tinnitus.

I've been doing saline washes with a NeilMed squeeze bottle and I went digging through boxes of herbal supplements I've used in the past and tried to find things that were anti-inflammatory and immunostimulant. I don't know if that's the right tack to take.

Has anyone had good results clearing up ear fluid without taking oral decongestants or nasal steroids?

I think this ear fluid thing started about ten days after I began taking NT factor EnergyLipids and now all the crud that's in my nasal and sinus cavities is being dislodged...finally. I take guaifenesin round the clock to thin mucous secretions as it is.

Herbal supplements, homeopathic remedies, any suggestions?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
My left ear felt plugged and full so I visited my doctor last week and he said it wasn't infected, but there was a lot of fluid in my middle ear. I left his office with a box of pseudoephedrine, but I don't like to take it because it's drying out my already dry eyes and increasing the volume on the tinnitus.

I've been doing saline washes with a NeilMed squeeze bottle and I went digging through boxes of herbal supplements I've used in the past and tried to find things that were anti-inflammatory and immunostimulant. I don't know if that's the right tack to take.

Has anyone had good results clearing up ear fluid without taking oral decongestants or nasal steroids?

I think this ear fluid thing started about ten days after I began taking NT factor EnergyLipids and now all the crud that's in my nasal and sinus cavities is being dislodged...finally. I take guaifenesin round the clock to thin mucous secretions as it is.

Herbal supplements, homeopathic remedies, any suggestions?

I get blocked ears a lot, and one was blocked for weeks this year, leading me to worry that it might be infected or physically damaged. My ears get very itchy at times (seems to be a PEM symptom) and sometimes can't stop myself from poking at them to try to remove the cause of the itch, and I think this makes it worse.

I used to use dilute vinegar ear drops, then more recently switched to sodium bicarbonate (which my vet prescribed for one of my cats once at considerable cost for a tiny bottle!). When I suspected possible infection I switched to dilute grapefruit extract for maybe a week, then back to sod bic. I use the drops on average twice a day.

I don't know what - if any - contribution these made but it did eventually clear and I could hear again!

You can buy ear syringes, but I haven't had much success with the one I bought - and it's tiring.

There are other threads on blocked ears and tinnitus.