• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Might Ativan, Clonazapem Increase Strength?

frozenborderline

That said, I totally understand why people here do use benzos - but please just be very careful to use as sparingly as possible and be aware of potential problems with frequent use (even as much as twice a week which is how I started
do you really think twice a week use would cause withdrawal, or are you saying that taking it twice a week was enough to cause reinforcing effects that made you want to take it more often and led to addiction and dependence? I find it somewhat unlikely that twice a week use would cause withdrawal, but given ativans long half life I could see it as a possibility

frozenborderline

I have read about possible dependence with Phenibut. I had considered taking it but didn't want to substitute one addiction for another.
Oh phenibut also causes dependence if taken daily but there are other reasons it may be preferable to benzos and one doesn’t have to take it daily. Before I was really really ill but after I got lyme I did use it often and it helped me feel better. I simply set a rule of not taking it on consecutive days and normally used two or three times a week, sometimes at high doses and never experienced withdrawal. It was not that hard to not use it daily I found

Hd-x

The efficacy does make me wonder about phenibut, racetams, baclofen ans othergaba analogues Or agonists That May be safer
I have read about possible dependence with Phenibut.
Noofen is pharma-grade (medicine) whereas Phenibut is non pharma-grade (supplemente), but last the same products. It is availible as medicine in eastern europe and will usually not prescribed longer then 4weeks. Depending on the dosage it will support "feelings off well beeing" and help against anxiety, social phobia, sleep disorders, insomnia and ticks (stuttering, Meniere's diseas and so on).
The medical dosages for treating asthenic and anxious-neurotic states are usually 250-500mg 3x times daily. High daily dosages are in the long term sometimes associated with hepatotoxicity (fatty liver) and dependency.
Most long term Phenibut users (e.g. not prescibed by a doctor) usually take it few days in a row and stop for few days and so on. Doing so may reduce the risc to build up any tolerance and side effects.

Balcofen is a muscle relexanxe and sometimes offlabel prescribed against Fibromyalgia muscle cramps and pain. (in my case it didnt help)

Piracetam is a GABA derivate without GABAergic effects, it is cholinergic and act at NMDA rececptors or whatever so. It has been assumed some neuroprotective properties and may obvisiously help few ppl. decreasing cognitive fatigue.

About Benzos and dependency:
Usually, short acting classes that fast kick´in (like Ativan/Lorazepam, Xanax) are associated with a significant higher risc for dependency. Slower floating and longer lasting classes like Clonazepam have a lower dependency risc. Several years ago the doctors put me 1year on Diazepam and later on Clonazepam. I never had any withdrawls from it, nevertheless I am carefully with Benzos and exspecialy any short acting stuff.
However, it may also depend from ppl. to ppl. how fast dependency + tolerance occur.
Many ppl. will get addicted very quickly whereas few folks can use such medicine for a long period off time without any problems. It is a difficult topic and hard to judge, because you dont know at last for sure if you have a fast predisposition for dependency or not.

Last edited:

Hd-x

just read this reddit post about less “addictive” benzos
If drugs still have cryptic numbers and not a real trade name, it is usually still an experimental drug that has not been tested in any larger human clinical trials. It doesnt help if any experimental drugs aren´t addictive for monkeys or rats, if you obviously get other serious (unknown) side effects like cancer, kidney problems or whatever so.

Last edited:

Stretched

Hope it’s not off topic here, but I just read this reddit post about less “addictive” benzos in research and was wondering if anybody was able to get some of that list and have any experience?
I took Klonopin for 30+ years as part of the protocol to help CFS (in early years.). Dr. Paul Cheney was an early pioneer from the Lake Tahoe area (current outbreak source) and wrote an article that Klonopin (clonazepam) was not additictve. Well, that’s BS! See forums at http://benzo.org.uk/ and those there specifically related to Klonopin.
(There’s also an equivalency chart there of benzo potencies.)

I decided to get off KL in 2017. I spent a year titrating down to .5 mg then switched over to diazepam at 15mg and titrated down to .5mg over 6 months, then stopped, Dec 2018. Three weeks later on C-Mas day, 2018 my hands and body had tremors. I saw a PCP and showed him the Ashton Manual after he initially said Parkinson’s! He reinstated the diazepam at 8mg daily. It was not enough. I then added another 10mg after seeing a neurologist. The tremors are just now reducing by about 50%, 3 months after stopping and reinstating. I’d guess it will take another 6 months - year to titrate down to zero, which is a total of 2.5-3 years to stop Klonopin. (This is pretty typical given all the forum histories.)

Hd-x

@Stretched Hopefully, you will be able to get off soon.
Certainly it will be a major problem getting addicted and 30+years is a long time.
Nowadays we know a little bit more about CFS, unfortunatly not enough to cure it. Many ppl will obvisously not have much alternatives if herbal drugs, Melatonin did not help. Neuroleptica (Ativan), AD (Remergil), Cyproheptadin make sleepy too, but have other serious side effects.

It may be strange that I never had problems to get off Benzos, curiously I had a very strange problem to get off from Remergil. The doctor prescribed it for "better sleep", but the stuff didnt help and still increased my apettite a lot. I was really hungry the whole day. :rolleyes:
I stopped taking Remergil and my apettite turns to the opposite, it went down to zero. This was really strange and not any good, I had to titrate Remergil slowly down to 1,5mg to get any "normal" apettite behaviour + hunger feelings back. Certainly it wasnt the same like a Benzo withdrawl, but unwanted side effects can also occour if you want to quit AD.

Last edited: