• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High white blood cells, hot head, cold extremities

I have been going to a haematologist for a number of years now due to high white blood cells. My Mum and grandfather had leukaemia.

As part of the general CFS symptoms of PEM, unrefreshing sleep, food intolerances, weakness, cognitive problems etc. I get hot head and cold hands and feet. My head and especially forehead are always hot to the touch, especially in hot weather.

Does anyone else here have that?
I have never heard of anyone having that before.

In addition my white blood cells are always abnormal - always 10 or 20% over normal. The haematologist says they will keep an eye on me and I have been in observation for this for 3 years now. They say it is from "stress" or "allergies", and have nothing to offer me. I suspect they do not even believe in CFS.
Does anyone else have high white blood cells as part of their CFS?

Wolfcub

I don't have enough knowledge either @Insomniac to give you enough support and information.
But do you take your temperature? And when your head feels hot are you running any kind of fever?
When I first became unwell, I felt as if I had a fever; hot flashes, bitter cold hands and feet, shivery, then too hot, etc.
But each time (maybe 4 times a day) when I took temperature it was below 37C (98.6) There was never even a low-grade fever.

But if you do find that you have one -even low grade, on a regular basis, that is definitely something to ask your doctor about.

There are a few reasons for a high WBC count and one of them can be infection.

tyson oberle

I have been going to a haematologist for a number of years now due to high white blood cells. My Mum and grandfather had leukaemia.

As part of the general CFS symptoms of PEM, unrefreshing sleep, food intolerances, weakness, cognitive problems etc. I get hot head and cold hands and feet. My head and especially forehead are always hot to the touch, especially in hot weather.

In addition my white blood cells are always abnormal - always 10 or 20% over normal. The haematologist says they will keep an eye on me and I have been in observation for this for 3 years now. They say it is from "stress" or "allergies", and have nothing to offer me. I suspect they do not even believe in CFS.
I also have cold hands and especially very cold feet. My head is always warm and I am constantly putting a cold pack on my forehead, eyes, check, ears, etc. But my body temperature is always a little low. Many people with ME/CFS have cold hands and feet. I have also heard other ME/CFS sufferers complain of a warm or hot head before, but I am not sure how common it is among us. My lab results have shown high white blood cells in the past, but my last lab results were normal for white blood cells but I don't feel any better no matter what my labs show. I also have PEM, food intolerances, weakness, and cognitive problems among other symptoms.

gumman123

Earthing lowers white blood cell count 20% after a few days. Dr James Oschman has a study on it, and talks on youtube about it. Other good thing for immune function is colostrum, and bone marrow.

I don't have enough knowledge either @Insomniac to give you enough support and information.
But do you take your temperature? And when your head feels hot are you running any kind of fever?
When I first became unwell, I felt as if I had a fever; hot flashes, bitter cold hands and feet, shivery, then too hot, etc.
But each time (maybe 4 times a day) when I took temperature it was below 37C (98.6) There was never even a low-grade fever.....

...There are a few reasons for a high WBC count and one of them can be infection.
No I don't have any temperature. That is what is weird about it.

You have described exactly how I feel in hot weather.

ljimbo423

No I don't have any temperature. That is what is weird about it.

I use to feel like I often had a fever but like you, I never a one. My temperature was almost always a little low.

It still happens sometimes but not very often. It seems to have slowly faded away as I get healthier. I think it probably has a lot to do with Jarred Youngers' and others, findings of low grade brain inflammation in ME/CFS.

Jarred is doing a study this year to see if activated B and T cells, from the immune system in the body, are crossing the blood brain barrier and causing the brain inflammation he has found.

From what Jarred has said, low grade brain inflammation can account for almost every symptom of ME/CFS.

crypt0cu1t

IG: @crypt0cu1t

Yes I have high WBC off and on. I also have other immune abnormalities.