• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High-frequency rTMS for the Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Case Series

redo

I've warned Cort Johnson about the use of this treatment in my country with AWFUL results. I can see why the dropout happened. I'll post here what I said in a comment to this article http://www.healthrising.org/blog/2016/12/17/fibromyalgia-clinical-trials-overview-2017/

I tried following the link to the Spanish blog, but couldn't understand the language. Are you saying rTMS has been used on many CFS patients in Spain, and they've worsened? I would like to know more about that! I am thinking about trying it, but taking it slow, as discussed recently in this thread.

redo

I wonder, with depression, do they use rTMS against the brain regions highlighted below?

The PET images examined 22 cortical and subcortical areas. CFS patients showed a significant hypometabolism in right mediofrontal cortex (P = 0.010) and brainstem (P = 0.013) in comparison with the healthy controls. Moreover, comparing patients affected by CFS and depression, the latter group showed a significant and severe hypometabolism of the medial and upper frontal regions bilaterally (P = 0.037-0.001), whereas the metabolism of brain stem was normal. Brain 18FDG PET showed specific metabolism abnormalities in patients with CFS in comparison with both healthy controls and depressed patients. The most relevant result of our study is the brain stem hypometabolism which, as reported in a perfusion SPECT study, seems to be a marker for the in vivo diagnosis of CFS.