• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High ASOT titre that antibiotics can’t touch.

Hi!

I’m sure I’m not the only facing this issue - I’ve been going through it for as long as I can remember (maybe 4/5 years old) and has only just gotten worse in my 20’s. Every time I get run down I get strep and it turns in to an epic battle... a shot of penicillin will help and I’ll move on, but the strep titre doesn’t budge. It will always stay at about 290 (normal is less than 140).

Ive done some research on SIBO and gut disbiosis and I think this might be my issue. I also have low vitamin D and was low in antioxidants. I think the bacteria is evading my immune system / antibiotics and I seriously need to treat the source issue ASAP. I am getting bloating after eating anything (even a salad with no carbs or protein! I am petite so it looks odd). Although I feel ok now I know as soon as I get stressed or run down my immune system will take a hit and the strep will come back to bite me. This will knock me out for a month or more and I just take a MAJOR hit every time it’s tiring.

Is there anything I can do for SIBO or breaking the biofilm barrier? I am self-diagnosing here but it makes a lot of sense as to why my ASOT doesn’t budge. I even had a small staph infection (impetigo) in my nose last year after a cold and I feel like that also returns WITH the strep! So now I’m battling both staph & strep. Doxycycline strangely makes me feel amazing and not bloated?!?

I’ve looked at some posts re: SIBO but I’m wondering if I should take an antibiotic or herbal to treat it along with an antibiotic for the bacterias / let me immune system kill it.

MTpockets

I have heard that a lot of kids who have PANDAS or chronic strep infections have success treating with Monolaurin which is known as a biofilm buster. As for the SIBO that is a long uphill battle, but you can win if you are diligent. Start with a diet overhaul. No sugar, no empty calories, nutrient dense easy to digest food. Try to pinpoint any foods that are causing significant reactions and eliminate them for the time being. Probiotics are key, anitfungals herbs and foods such as garlic are important also. Go slow. Do a lot of research, look into intermittent fasting, GAPS diet, autoimmune paleo, Candida overgrowth. Use Google to find forums where people are healing their guts. It is a long but worthwhile process, and everyone's journey looks different. Good luck.