• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Adrenaline before CFS?

xks201

Were you a high adrenaline type before developing CFS? I’m trying to figure out if I had pyruvate dehydrogenase problems before full blown cfs that was compensated for with a high adrenaline/hormone levels. Your experience/input is appreciated. Thanks.

Tammy

I didn't consider myself a high adrenaline type............however, I had multiple very stressful life events that occured over a couple of years before CFS hit., so I'm sure the adrenaline was pumping way too much and too often.

Wolfcub

No, I didn't have high-adrenaline situations before developing ME/CFS.

I'd had a few of course, in the distant past.

When I developed ME/CFS I was living a steady, pretty boring ordinary non-stress kind of life, retired, no issues, plus a healthy enough immune system.
I just happened one day to be in the vicinity of someone who was coughing some sort of virus over a queue in a store. That virus was my nemesis. It just never -ever- went away.

However, I have noticed I do get unusual adrenaline-type reactions to the mildest stress now. Sometimes (especially in the first year or so ) even the stress of digesting food would cause an adrenaline surge. Or getting up in the morning! (yuck to that one.)

YippeeKi YOW !!

@xks201
I didn't consider myself a high adrenaline type............however, I had multiple very stressful life events that occured over a couple of years before CFS hit., so I'm sure the adrenaline was pumping way too much and too often.
I'm right there with @Tammy ..... I never considered myself a high-adrenaline type, but my ME was preceded by almost a decade of unbelievably high stress/ serious losses events, which seemed to have led me, unable to protest what I didn't understand was happening, straight into ME and a period of vegetative hunkering down and general misery.
However, I have noticed I do get unusual adrenaline-type reactions to the mildest stress now.
Like @Wolfcub, I've found that the mildest forms of stress will create what feel like adrenaline surges, even just an unwelcome phone call that just has to be made. It's gotten a little better, but the effects still linger, and I nver know for sure what's going to trigger that unwelcome surge response.

Wolfcub

the mildest forms of stress will create what feel like adrenaline surges, even just an unwelcome phone call that just has to be made.
Oh yes. I know that one. If I have to get in the car and drive to town for a specific reason at a specific time....adrenaline surge. NO "specific reason" =no adrenaline ! That is just not the way I always was before.

Rufous McKinney

Oh yes. I know that one. If I have to get in the car and drive to town for a specific reason at a specific time....adrenaline surge. NO "specific reason" =no adrenaline ! That is just not the way I always was before.

My hands shake if I have to make a phone call.