• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help please. Is this PEM?

To date, I have been diagnosed with Sjogren's, POTS, and SFN. My worst symptom is an unrelenting and crushing flu-like fatigue that never goes away.

Following the recommendation of my rheumatologist, I have been practicing low-intensity swimming three times a week for two and a half months. Initially, this had no impact on my fatigue (neither positive nor negative). However, the day after my last swimming session (which was not especially intense), I experienced a sudden worsening in my fatigue that has lasted for a month now, forcing me to be in bed practically all day. Could this be an example of PEM?

hapl808

I think sometimes the terminology varies - but overall yes. We often refer to that as a 'crash' which happens after some activity or stressor, often with a delay. It feels very strange and impossible, yet it can last for variable amounts of time. I think often we use PEM more to refer to 'predictable' length crashes, but maybe that's just me.

If something like low intensity swimming doesn't improve your fatigue at all, that sounds more like ME/CFS type illness, in which case three days a week of exercise sound like way too much. That is close to the GET (Graded Exercise Therapy) camp, which has worsened many of us - myself included.

Sorry you're dealing with that.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Castorp - I agree with @hapl808 - it sounds like PEM to me, and it does sound like your low-intensity swimming is very similar to GET, which is generally contraindicated for ME/CFS.

I think PEM and crash can be used interchangeably - I don't think PEM only refers to "predictable" length crashes however. I believe PEM is what hits you after exercise, however long it lasts. Normal people don't get bedridden after low-intensity exercise!