• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help Needed - Interpreting Oxygen/Blood Gas Venous Results

Hello,
There was one day that I was struggling so hard to feel like I was getting oxygen from my breath, I went to the dr. and they ran some tests and this was what came back. I have no idea what this means and the dr. didn't call back. I googled and googled and could not figure out what it meant. Maybe this means nothing but hoping someone can help.

Thank you,
Stephanie

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 1.54.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 1.54.34 PM.png
    792.2 KB · Views: 40
Who’s better than you???
Thank you!! This helps. And dr appointment isn’t until November and even then, I’m sure he’ll say “it’s all normal.” 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Thank you again.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@izzo5617 - Well, one "good" thing is you do have some abnormal results, usually blood work doesn't show anything for us! Yeah I put good in quotes because of course it's not good but oh well! 😯

Let us know what your doctor says when you finally get in to see him! 😺

Seadragon

If those are the standard reference ranges highlighted in green, everything looks more or less normal...??

Yes I believe my tight chest and cough is coming from pulmonary constriction due to increased excessive vasodilation 😞 Now how to address that 😭

No one really did think much of this, my doctor wasn't concerned... and then, here's the weird part. I figured out that a huge part of what was making me so sick was the Ativan :( I cut the dose by 20% and spread it out alot more evenly throughout the day (4 doses vs. one huge dose at night and one mid day) and sure enough, not gasping for breath anymore... it's like I was being poisoned. This has gone on ALL Spring, Summer, etc... it was the Ativan. I cannot believe it. Still feel like I have cement blocks on my arms and legs all the time, still fatigued, still extremely sleep deprived, brain fogged, etc. but it is so so so much LESS, with less Ativan so... for now, mystery partly solved. 🫂

No one really did think much of this, my doctor wasn't concerned... and then, here's the weird part. I figured out that a huge part of what was making me so sick was the Ativan :( I cut the dose by 20% and spread it out alot more evenly throughout the day (4 doses vs. one huge dose at night and one mid day) and sure enough, not gasping for breath anymore... it's like I was being poisoned. This has gone on ALL Spring, Summer, etc... it was the Ativan. I cannot believe it. Still feel like I have cement blocks on my arms and legs all the time, still fatigued, still extremely sleep deprived, brain fogged, etc. but it is so so so much LESS, with less Ativan so... for now, mystery partly solved. 🫂
I’m on Ativan as well and I’m tapering off. I started with only a 0.5mg dose and I’m down to .3mg now. Spread out x3 a day but even the .1mg dose before bed is bothering me I think. 😩

Shanti1

Administrator
Hi @izzo5617 ,

It looks like you figured out what was causing your shortness of breath, I'm so glad!

Regarding your venous blood gases, your oxygen saturation in your venous blood was elevated, but only slightly. Nonetheless, people with ME/CFS have been found to have elevated venous O2 saturation (aka SvO2), especially after exercise. This may be related to a decreased ability to extract oxygen from the blood due to mitochondrial dysfunction, altered capillary blood flow, microclots, or poor oxygen release from altered RBC flexibility.

Unexplained exertional intolerance associated with impaired systemic oxygen extraction
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00421-019-04222-6

Insights from Invasive Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing of Patients with ME/CFS (Joseph et al., 2021)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...patients-with-me-cfs-joseph-et-al-2021.82907/

almost

Hello,
There was one day that I was struggling so hard to feel like I was getting oxygen from my breath, I went to the dr. and they ran some tests and this was what came back. I have no idea what this means and the dr. didn't call back. I googled and googled and could not figure out what it meant. Maybe this means nothing but hoping someone can help.
it's like I was being poisoned
Maybe you are/were . . .

You may want to look over this post and attached thread on CO poisoning (chronic): https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-sp02-when-short-of-breath.10955/#post-191146