• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart Rate Variability Test Insights

I ordered a tracking device which is applied to the chest and measures a couple of stats for a duration of 48h. You then send it in and after a couple of days get the results back.

Now, most of the stats are not important for me personally (like when I lied down, sat down, or walked. how many steps etc.) but what I was most interested about is the reading of my heart rate variability.

The results look like this (I hope the picture works). I describe what is seen in the picture after the pic:

HRV1.png

The first reading is the heartbeat, it does not matter much here, but you can see easily the sleeping time for example.

Important to understand is the third reading. I think that depicts the way a doctor would actually see it when doing a similar test.

You there can see an area between two horizontal lines going from around 0.05 and 0.15 Hz. This area stands for activities of your sympathetic nervous system (SNS) = fight and flight. The area between 0.15 and 0.4 Hz indicates activities of the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) = rest and recover.

The intensity of the activity is increased when the color is darker. Ranging from light yellow, orange, red, until blue.

In the picture you can for example clearly see the sleeping pattern, as during nighttime the PNS is showing quite some blue activity.

The second reading is basically where they put a ratio between the SNS and the PNS readings and depict it as a graph. It helps to better read the third graphic.

You can see a nice blue graph during night time, and times of restfulness during the day. With some time of increased SNS (which is not a bad thing in general).

The problem is: the readings above are the results that my wife got back. My personal reading looks quite different and very unusual for a human being.

HRV2.png

You can see a clear domination of the SNS with the PNS barely active at all.

The depicted readings are for a 24h period. I have taken the 48h test two times (the second time together with my wife) and all of the readings for the other days look exactly the same.

It also did not matter if I meditated for 20min for example, as it didnt show much (light decrease in SNS activity, but still not in restful mode).

So why is there no refreshed feeling at the morning of the day? Because there is indeed no recovery going on. You look at someone who also could have been awake the entire time for the last couple of years (I sleep by the way between 8-10h every night without much interruptions).

Did anyone else in this forum took a similar test?

jesse's mom

That is every interesting to me! I am logging my Blood pressure and Heart rate with a cuff every hour or so while I am awake and find similar data.

I seem to barely get rest even when I have slept or meditated either. I will add that I buy the fight or flight our nervous systems have to protect us, but I now feel that I experience another "F" freeze! I think that is another commonality.

Aslo, I have been meditating for about 30 years and it is much more difficult since I have been sicker in the last year or so.

I am having to practice Metta, or Loving Kindness meditation instead of the simple Zen that worked for me for years. It seems my brain became untrained after I got sicker. (frustrating)

I think it has to do with the inflammation in the brain that Dr. Jared Younger is researching now.

pamojja

I did it only once with my companies doc. Though only a short test for about 15 minutes and trying to meditate during the test, it's results were equally disastrous, showing my in exclusively sympathetic mode. The company doc recommended me to quit my job immediately. o_O Still took an other year till I did now more than 1 1/5 years ago. With one part-time job less I could almost completely avoid PEM (which before has been regular), and which brought indeed great relieve.

Late this year I got adventurous enough to at least try a 10-day retreat again (after having done none since disease onset 10 years ago). To my complete surprise I did perfectly fine even with the long hours awake (though this was the first time I needed to meditate in a chair due to pains). Back home I instantly fell back to my need of at least 10 hours of sleep a day.

What kind of device did you use for these 24 hrs readings?

I have to add, that both my heart rate and blood pressure is completely fine. I also dont feel stressed all the time, although I would say that I am constantly wired. It just seems that the PNS does not kick in as it should.

I bought a book about the Vagus nerve - which controls the PNS - a couple of minutes ago, and hope that it will describe some exercises etc. which are proven to strengthen the PNS.

Here is a link to a gallery with more pictures from different people. The company states that it has an archive of 30.000 recordings, which of course is nice for comparing.

https://www.autonomhealth.com/en/gallerie/

My recordings match the profile of "Exhausting", interestingly though not the ones of "Burnout" - where even the SNS seems to be not working any more.

Pam - I used the tracker by Mesana (mesana.com), which I ordered from myselftest.de (because there it costs around 50 bucks instead of 100 for some reason). But the company which provides the gallery above (and sits in Austria by the way), also has some interesting offer. You can actually buy the tracker from them (I had to return mine after the 48h) and then get a monthly prescription (I think 18€/month when paid anually) and then track to your hearts content. They also can provide a one time tracking for 30€ but I did not saw how long. Again, the Mesana tracks for 48h. If they ship to Austria, that could be a better option.

BadBadBear

I followed my HRV for a few months and the results were so dismal I quit looking. Being told how crappy I would feel before I even got out of bed was pretty disheartening.

I really should try again after being on antiviral drugs and recovering to some extent.

But does it really help to know these readings? I thought it might be useful, but never found it to be.

Dechi

I did HRV with Elite HRV for about 18 months but could not make any sense of it. It’s not made for chronically ill people.

I did a QEEG and will have the full results in the summer but at first hand it showed I had almost no alpha waves and the ones I had were broken and reversed.

I will have the results of a polysomnograph I did soon. I have no hopes but it would be nice if it explained why I feel like dirt everyday when I wake up.

Last edited:

kangaSue

An abnormal heart rate variability can be an indication of your cardiac regulation and output but it can also be an indicator of your wider autonomic (cardiovagal) function.

I have no idea what the accuracy of these wearable devices are but I do not that an abnormal result in an autonomic function test of Heart Rate Variability to Deep Breathing can mean that you have Autonomic Neuropathy, particularly if you have an abnormal QSART sweat test result too (of reduced sweat function).

You can have an abnormal Heart Rate Variability to Deep Breathing test result when the heart rate itself is normal, the variability bit is autonomic function that you don't have control over as a general rule (unless you're really into meditation or the like).

Don't know how widely available these are but some Practitioners may have the equipment to do a HRVDB test;
http://www.vitalscan.com/dtr_ans.htm

prioris

why is there no refreshed feeling at the morning of the day?
first thing i'd suspect are the cortisone levels
i'd do an online 24 hour diurnal cortisone level test to confirm it ...
there are supplements that correct it if there are a problem
normally the cortisone levels go into high gear during waking up
and then start subsiding as one approaches bedtime

matt321

I used this device as well. Same exact situation. I recovered by researching and then DOING everything known to rewire the PNS. Yoga, meditation, breathing, self ex[ression...etc. To those of us that have recovered, the HRV is literally showing what CFS is and what to do about it.

matt321

I did it only once with my companies doc. Though only a short test for about 15 minutes and trying to meditate during the test, it's results were equally disastrous, showing my in exclusively sympathetic mode. The company doc recommended me to quit my job immediately. o_O Still took an other year till I did now more than 1 1/5 years ago. With one part-time job less I could almost completely avoid PEM (which before has been regular), and which brought indeed great relieve.

Late this year I got adventurous enough to at least try a 10-day retreat again (after having done none since disease onset 10 years ago). To my complete surprise I did perfectly fine even with the long hours awake (though this was the first time I needed to meditate in a chair due to pains). Back home I instantly fell back to my need of at least 10 hours of sleep a day.

Did you do a 10 day vipassana?

matt321

Matt,
could you give us a more detailed list on what was it exactly that you did? Thank you for taking the time.

Feel free to search my posts. It’s easier than me writing it out. As a completely recovered person that was mentored by other recovered people, I can’t give advice...lol, BUT, Myself and every other recovered person I know used easily available breathing techniques, yoga, chi qong and meditation to rewire and develope our PNS response. Like the others who taught me how to recover, we completely disagree with the idea that recovery is rare and we are out here proving it every day.

Last edited by a moderator:

matt321

Yes, but the gentle kind at IMC-Austria.

Many people including myself regard Vipassana as the secret weapon for chronic illness. Interesting how you did one, then fell ill. They are known by those how practice to release trauma.

Float

DYK that the pns is activated by being in connection with others ? Perhaps even on a silent meditation retreat the connection and belonging does the ns a lot of good.

prioris

I experienced a blood clot a couple weeks ago in both legs. My feet blew up sometime within week. There was no way I would ever seek conventional treatment. So I took Lumbrokinase (Doctors Best brand) with cup of water 3 times a day and my feet went back to normal in less than a week. Lumbrokinase is a much more powerful fibrinolytic than nattokinase... 80 time more powerful. Nattokinase is for milder problems. The reason one takes a full cup of water with lumbrokinase is to minimize effect of acids in stomach on capsule which is not enteric coated and get it to the intestines sooner.

Being chronically ill and nearly 64 years old, I think I am very prone to hypercoagulation. I think it is causing other problems in my body so I will take it every day as part of maintenance. I also take serrapeptase also to help prevent internal scarring and clean blood.

As an aside, I consider Beta Glucan (activated 1,3d is active ingredient) the most important thing for my immune system. Wellmune is most popular brand which contains 70% of active ingredient. I take one that has 85% active ingredient. That's first thing I take when I wake up.

Last edited: