• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Headache so I'm sick of headaches

Azayliah

Coffee for a long time just made me feel better, improved the headache and just generally a little less ill. The past few months however its switched over and coffee is bad and I have had to avoid it

I've recently had this experience, too. It coincided with a sudden taste of ashes in my usual coffees--like someone had dropped cigarette ashes into the grounds and stirred everything together. Switching to a coffee brand that does not have much/any ash or roast flavoring stopped the headaches. I can also have caffeinated tea with no issue... well, as long as I remember to keep drinking water to counteract the dehydration.

Anyway, I often react to pollution with headaches, so I think coffee headaches might actually be polluted-coffee headaches. You said you have to avoid coffee but also that you find Sudafed helpful, and I'm pretty sure Sudafed contains caffeine. This makes it seem possible that something in the coffee, rather than the caffeine, could be affecting you.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The other thing that has worked is fasting while taking Sodium Benzoate for a few days.
Do you still use the sodium benzoate? If so, how much? And have you ever tried it without fasting to see if it would work that way too?

I think we make too much ammonia or don't clear it well. I think the high levels make our brains swell contributing to the headaches and brain fog.

@triffid113 has been talking about urea cycle problems in another thread and I really think that's a factor in this disease (that and liver detox issues) for a lot of us.

lenora

Hi Judee.....I was never troubled with headaches through this entire ordeal....well, until 2 years ago. I have no idea what the cause is but the thing is with me constantly.

I thought it was sinus, but it starts at the back of my head (left side) and works it's way up to my l. eye....and it really hurts. Who knows what it could be? And after asking my internist about it, I'm not even going to bother any longer. Apparently headaches are the most common complaint that doctors receive and will usually go in about 3 years.

Does that help you? No? It didn't help me, either. Yours, Lenora

almost

Weird left-field question, but do you have a larger head than most? Hydrocephalus can cause otherwise-unexplained headaches, and will usually show itself in a large head. Usually you'll see other symptoms in children, but like all things, your (and my) results may vary. Just somethings to consider.

Hydrocephalus is something I have but in my case headaches was not a common symptom.

perchance dreamer

Some headache patients benefit from neurofeedback. I used to do neurofeedback at a biofeedback clinic, and my practitioner told me she went into this field because it helped her so much with migraines.

lenora

I can remember being a child and it wasn't uncommon to see infants with very large heads. Bear in mind that I'm now 76, but nothing could be done for these children....they died. You never see a child like that today. Only one type of progress that has been made.

So many things have disappeared from our landscape.....of course it took more than medical help for it, but polio is another example. A horrid disease that didn't always kill, but certainly left its victims in need of help for the remainder of their lives. Big change: The diseases of yesterday have merely been replaced by new ones. Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

hapl808

So many things have disappeared from our landscape.....of course it took more than medical help for it, but polio is another example. A horrid disease that didn't always kill, but certainly left its victims in need of help for the remainder of their lives.

Keep in mind, polio left very few of its victims in need of help for the remainder of their lives. The paralyzing rate of polio is generally considered to be similar to the fatality rate of COVID (0.5%). Now PPS is different and much more vague like Long Covid, but that's a separate issue.

Since most people only saw the paralytic form of polio, even people who lived through the worst of it are often unaware that 99.5% of people who contracted polio were not paralyzed by it. Still absolutely horrific and tragic for those who were paralyzed, or even those with long term symptoms from the paralytic form of polio.

We definitely have improved in our treatment of childhood mortality and some childhood illnesses. HOWEVER, the more I learn, the more unimpressed I am at our health overall compared to previous generations. If everyone here takes a moment, compare your health and the longevity of the people around you to your parents and grandparents. Have we made great strides?

Wayne

polio is another example
Since most people only saw the paralytic form of polio, even people who lived through the worst of it are often unaware that 99.5% of people who contracted polio were not paralyzed by it.
What's interesting is that a country doctor from North Carolina by the name of Frederick Klenner discovered in the late 1940's that IV Vitamin C cures virtually 100% of all polio cases, even those that had advanced to late stages. Dr. Klenner's work with childhood polio was so impressive, he was invited to give a speech at a major AMA conference in Chicago.

His presentation were met with almost complete silence, as those in attendance were aware of the major work being done to bring out a polio vaccine. Having a very inexpensive, yet very effective therapy to treat polio did not fit into the paradigm that was envisioned by those enthralled by the wonders of universal vaccination. Dr. Klenner also discovered IV Vit. C was highly effective for treating just about every other childhood disease as well.

Last edited:

lenora

HI @Wayne.....I honestly have to take exception to the percentages you quoted. Most people weren't totally paralyzed perhaps, but enough had braces on their legs or arms, chest for the remainder of their lives AND pain, that I consider that a basic problem.

Also, those same victims ended up a lot like many of us in their later years.....severe pain was common as well as exhaustion. Personally, I'm glad they came up with a vaccine for it. I'll agree that Vitamin C was probably underused and could have helped.....but prevented? You have many excellent examples....but I can't agree with this one. This is not a personal attack, I wouldn't do that to you. Yours, Lenora