• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you had an fMRI or PET?

I am interested in hearing from readers who have had an fMRI or PET scan.

What was the reason given for ordering the scan(s)? And how were your results interpreted?

Pyrrhus

I assume when you say "PET", you are referring to FDG-PET?

I believe that fMRI is only administered in a research setting, not by a doctor.

I hope this helps.

minimus

I had a PET-CT scan last fall. It was prescribed by a hematologist/oncologist as part of a workup for neutropenia and neuropathy to rule out an underlying malignancy. A neurologist involved in evaluating me said that PET-CT scans usually need to be prescribed by hematologists/oncologists in the US, as they know how to get insurers to authorize them here. The results were negative/normal.

Maybe 20 years ago, I also had an fMRI by a PhD radiology researcher at Columbia University named Dikamo Shungu, who was evaluating ME/CFS patients for abnormal levels of lactate in the brain. It was like a regular brain MRI. @Pyrrhus is correct - fMRI is used in research settings and isn’t available in medical settings. The reason I know this is that I got in touch with Shungu a few years ago and he said I could only get an fMRI if I were a participant in one of his research studies, and even then he could not provide me with my results because of the need for blinding.