• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fungal nail infection

Jessie 107

Does anyone know how to successfully Treat a severe fungal nail infection?

This first started a few years ago in my finger nails, I now have it in my toe nails.
My Doctor prescribed Turberfine but I have been reluctant to use it because of the chemicals and side effects.
I read someone else with M.E tried it and said that it made her ill for month's.
My M. E is very severe so I don't want to feel more ill than I already do.
Any suggestions?

Wishful

I don't know if it will penetrate deep enough to do the trick, but you can stick some copper (stripped wire, penny from before they became plated zinc) in vinegar. Wait a day or so for the solution to turn blue (copper acetate). Brush on. Copper salts are generally effective fungicides. Zinc might work too if you feel that it's somewhat safer than copper. I used the copper/vinegar on toe (skin) fungal infection, and it was much more effective than the commercial antifungal I tried. If it doesn't work well enough, you've just delayed having to use something else a bit longer. I suggest searching online to see if anyone else has tried copper for nail infections, and whether it has worked or not.

Yes, copper will turn your nails and skin green. :wide-eyed: Make it a fashion statement. :alien:

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
@Jessie 107

My nail fungus began two years before my CFS related symptoms emerged, in 2008.

While I was using an over-the-counter topical brush-on liquid (probably undecylenic acid), the fungus didn't worsen, but it also did not get better.

By 2011 I tried convincing my gastroenterologists and others that my fungal infection was caused or related to my gut dysbiosis / my severe IBS symptoms, insisting the whole thing was related.

By 2014 I started taking VSL #3 prescription strength probiotics and nail fungus seem to gradually get better over time.

I have no proof, so taking the probiotics and my nail improvement may have been coincidental.

Then, 3 months ago I stopped taking my probiotics (lactobacillus) for a seven-day trial period, to test out a theory. And by day 7 I noticed my nail fungus had come back with a vengeance.

I restarted the probiotics with lactobacillus and bifidobacterium. After a short period of time where I was physically ill, icky, and experiencing plenty of nausea, my nails and the rest of me got back to “normal.”

Seven weeks ago I was having another issue, and started ingesting high fructose corn syrup in the form of caffeine-free Coca-Cola.

Note: it turns out high fructose corn syrup was the main cause of my severe IBS-d.

I had severe pain and bloating and my nail fungus issue flared up big time within days.

I know and realize this is all circumstantial evidence, but thought you might find it interesting considering the issue you are attempting to resolve.

I'm not sure if simple sugars or high-fructose corn syrup is the cause for your issue, but perhaps this information will help somebody.

Is this a SIBO thing, bacterial overgrowth? Who knows.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Does anyone know how to successfully Treat a severe fungal nail infection?

This first started a few years ago in my finger nails, I now have it in my toe nails.
My Doctor prescribed Turberfine but I have been reluctant to use it because of the chemicals and side effects.
I read someone else with M.E tried it and said that it made her ill for month's.
My M. E is very severe so I don't want to feel more ill than I already do.
Any suggestions?

Hi. You're sensible to be cautious as this drug has notorious C.N.S side effects. I would try something more gentle first, a DIY topical remedy. It may have a zero to moderate effect , but is much more safe.

1) Consider painting vinegar on with a little paintbrush. See if the skin reacts as it drips. If it doesn't, soak you toenails in a bowl of vinegar solution for 10 mins a day. Be careful not to hurt your skin so don't decide to make it 30 mins x 2. Always follow the recommended protocols. Personally speaking unless you clip parts of your bad nail away first (if it's pointing upwards and thick) I doubt this will work. If you do that, the risk is it'll bleed. (Infection is a risk, especially if you put socks back on without washing your feet in soap and water). I use antiseptic cream, plasters and have tissues at the ready. This is why people see chiropodists, but easier said than done when housebound.

2) With a finger (with no cuts or wound) wipe on a product called 'Vicks Vapor Rub'. Although it's whole point is to be inhaled near the nose (menthol) for those chemically sensitive, it stinks. Also be careful if you have Asthma or MCS.

If bed ridden I'd apply it in warmer weather near an open window, door and have a fan blowing towards the open door/window to vent the 'fumes'. In summer weather, try sitting outside or just on the kitchen floor with your feet outside to vent the smell also.

Some claim it works quite well, there's a few videos online of people who've used it. Others also try 'Tiger Balm'.

3) If not housebound 24/7 and there's one locally, try laser treatment. The heat kills the fungus.

Hope that helps, and many PWME have your problem by the way, of multiple toenails (sometimes all 10 nails,) being affected in teenage years. Having all toes affected is a sign of immune suppression in young people especially, and common in HIV.

Last edited:

Wayne

Any suggestions?
Hi @Jessie 107,

Some things I'm aware of that are naturally anti-fungal include iodine, sodium thiosulfate, boric acid, and tea tre oil. They usually have extensive discussions on things like this over on EarthClinic. The link below will take you to a discussion on soldium thiosulfate, which is quite an extraordinary substance, and which you can take footbaths with. It's also the compound that emits the sulfur smell at sulfur hotsprings:

Sodium Thiosulfate for Heavy Metal Detoxing, Cancer, and Anti-fungal Treatments
October 27, 2018 // by Earth Clinic Creative Team// 78 Comments

BTW, I recently purchased 10 pounds of STS on eBay for $22.00, including shipping. -- I found this blurb on another website discussion on STS. -- Good luck!

Topical Applications: Sodium thiosulfate is present at 8% in lotion formulations to treat acne. Other lotions, containing 25% sodium thiosulfate, are used for treating ringworm, a fungal infection (Tinea) and may be applied twice daily to affected and susceptible skin for at least a week to many months until complete control is achieved. -- Sodium thiosulfate's topical antifungal activity is probably due to its slow release of colloidal sulfur.

P.S. -- If you have some Borax at home, you can make a mixture by wetting it, and then applying it to your toes. I guess it's the boric acid in it that is strongly anti-fungal.

Hip

If antifungals do not help, then you might have nail psoriasis rather than a fungal infection. Nail psoriasis looks quite similar to a fungal nail infection, but is caused by an autoimmune attack on the nail, and is treated with topical corticosteroids and the active form of vitamin D applied topically.

More info in this article: Is It Nail Psoriasis or a Nail Fungus? which says:
  • If the nail color is yellowed or browned, then it's more likely nail psoriasis
  • If the nail color is darkened, then it's more likely fungal infection

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Nail fungus, from: https://naturalhealthtechniques.com/fingernail-analysis/
The safest, cheapest and most effective treatment for this is to apply Vick’s Vapo Rub once a day on the entire nail. Do this every day until the entire nail grows out. Usually this takes from 2 1/2 to 3 months. Clip the nail and keep it as short as possible during this process. The Vick’s has a high concentration of camphor in it which penetrates the nail and oxygenates the area. Fungus can’t live with that extra oxygen. Many times nail fungus is a sign that the person has a deep-seated yeast infection and has had this for years.

From Dr. Axe: https://draxe.com/oregano-oil-benefits-superior-prescription-antibiotics/
Battle Candida and Fungal Overgrowth: For toenail fungus, you can make a homemade antifungal powder that can be applied to your skin. Combine the ingredients with about 3 drops of oregano oil, stir and then sprinkle the powder onto your feet. For internal use, take 2 to 4 drops twice daily for up to 10 days.

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
If antifungals do not help, then you might have nail psoriasis rather than a fungal infection. Nail psoriasis looks quite similar to a fungal nail infection, but is caused by an autoimmune attack on the nail, and is treated with topical corticosteroids and the active form of vitamin D applied topically.

More info in this article: Is It Nail Psoriasis or a Nail Fungus? which says:
  • If the nail color is yellowed or browned, then it's more likely nail psoriasis
  • If the nail color is darkened, then it's more likely fungal infection

After further investigation, it appears I was misdiagnosed a decade ago and I do indeed have nail psoriasis, rather than a fungal infection.

That might explain why my daily UVB (Vitamin D light) exposure also helped get rid of my skin psoriasis, and improved my nail health.

Although I could be affected by both, I have more of a wavy yellowish-white warped rippling, where the nails disintegrate, and it's powdery.

Since I lost use of my UVB light 3 months ago (replacement bulb sent out broken, manufacturer still not responding), my nails and skin have noticeably worsened (as well as other possibly related symptoms).

With me, there always seems to be some relationship to vitamin D, or a lack thereof.

Thanks to each of you for posting this information.

Lisa108

Great info by @Hip re: ruling out nail psoriasis!

My two cents regarding nail mycosis:

Local treatment:
Coriander (aka cilantro) oil also was found to be very effective against fungal infections of skin and nails.

Removing loose, crumbly, powdery parts of the nail *, so that the remedy can enter more deeply.

Preventing re-infection:
Using disposable paper towels / "kitchen roll" for drying feet (between toes) after bathing/showering.

Washing towels, bath mats, socks at at least 60°C. If unsure if your washing machine actually achieves this temperature, add (unscented) hygienic rinse.

* Using tools that can be disinfected or are disposable. Fine grained abrasive paper may be much cheaper than nail files.

Systemic treatment:
Sometimes additional systemic treatment is needed to fully get rid of it.

More Info:
It's a common plague in athletes (also known as "athlete's foot"), so there are many infos on those websites.

_____
Hope your nails will heal quickly!