• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food Poisoning may have life long consequences

Glynis Steele

Merry

My youngest brother, while in Egypt for a few months, suffered repeated bouts of food poisoning, never fully recovered, and went on to develop within the next year an auto-immune disorder of the intestines and gluten intolerance.

LaurieL

I am one of those in which feel food poisoning was the initial factor in the decline of my health and the eventual development of ME/CFS.

jimells

I'm pretty sure my health problems started with food poisoning from... chinese takeout.

Thanks for the links to these articles. I will read them carefully.

Esther12

The assumption that these sorts of problems do not cause lasting damage was never a reasonable one, but rather one that seemed based upon pragmatism and wish-thinking. I expect that we'll keep learning of more potential complications as science progresses.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Won't be long until someone claims the link is influenced by abnormal illness beliefs about the food poisoning episode.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
My ME/CFS started with an illness that was flu-like. I became ill on the last day of a vacation to Disney World. The evening before, while standing in line at one of the food venues, I spotted a friend from school and her boyfriend. We all had dinner together. They boyfriend and I ordered the same thing. For years I could have told you what that was, but it has faded into the fog.

When I was well enough to get out and about after returning to school, I learned from my friend that her boyfriend had been very ill when they returned from Disney World and had missed a week of work. You all know how eager collage-aged men are to admit they are too ill to work! I wondered then if what we ate had made us ill, although I would not call it food poisoning (which does not mean that it wasnt).

We both initially appeared to recover. I have since wondered how he fared in the long term. I had gone downhill enough by the time I graduated, that I did not keep up with any of my college friends.

Calathea

I've had food poisoning since getting ME, confirmed by a doctor (norovirus). It was over within a few days and had no impact on my health long-term that I could tell.

Waverunner

A gastroenterologist told me today, that sometimes he prescribes patients certain antibiotics after food poisoning and when they suffer from sudden onset IBS. He said that we can never be sure if the causative agent is still there or not. We still lack diagnostic means.

mellster

Marco
I think this is a double-edged sword. On one hand you don't wan to be exposed to microbia that can potentially alter your long-term health, but on the other hand you want your immune system as early as possible get used to fight and/or coexist with a variety of microbia that you will inevitably be exposed to throughout your life. That's why kids who grow up in farms supposedly have less allergies and auto-immune conditions. ABx definitely have their place, esp. when treating a bad attack and making sure there is no lasting chornic infection overwhelming the body, but on the long run I would think that priming and modulating your immune system into the right direction is the superior approach.

Calathea

I thought farming was one of the high-risk jobs for getting ME? Pesticide exposure, stress and all that.

Back