• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fibromyalgia linked to microbiome variation

Hip

One thing I have noticed over the years regarding Fibro sufferers I have met is that they tend to have a more negative/depressive outlook.

Maybe that's to do with the elevated substance P in fibromyalgia, as substance P is linked to depression.

Substance P is one of the factors that differentiates fibromyalgia from ME/CFS, as in ME/CFS its levels are normal.

panckage

What I don't understand is why they say exercise is beneficial for Fibro patients whereas its often the worse thing ME patients can do.
I've been diagnosed with both ME and fibro. My theory is the difference is based on the severity. I am considered mild cfs because I can still work (barely!). Exercise helps prevent decondtioning, produces endorphins and a bunch of other positive things. These are helpful as long as I don't cross the PEM threshold.

For someone more effected, going to the bathroom may cause PEM. Obviously exercise is a nono here.

Dr Bateman though, she considers orthostatic intolerance an important differentiater (usually only present in ME)

Learner1

The doctors at the recent NIH Conference all recommended exercise within one's energy envelope for some if the same benefits you describe.

I believe PEM happens when resources become depleted by exercise and are not replenished, having found that taking glutathione and BCAAs can avoid or reverse PEM. B vitamins, NAD+, thyroid and hydrocortisone can affect PEM as well.