• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling feverish, hot to the touch but normal temperature

Thinktank

I feel like i have a bad case of influenza and my forehead feels hot to the touch.
Yet, my body temperature is low to normal. I live with this day in day out.

What might cause my forehead to feel so hot? (When others feel my forehead they also say it's hot), yet having a low to normal body temperature?
My hypothalamus must be completely dysregulated or somehow damaged.

Wishful

I often feel hot to my own touch, even though my body temperature is normal or even below normal. I think it's an effect of how we actually sense temperatures. Having other people say that you feel hot might be suggestion or maybe they have a lower body temperature than you. Sometime when you're not feeling abnormally hot, ask the same people if you feel hot. Maybe they'll still say that you feel hot. Human senses are terrible for gauging actual temperatures.

Thinktank

I often feel hot to my own touch, even though my body temperature is normal or even below normal. I think it's an effect of how we actually sense temperatures. Having other people say that you feel hot might be suggestion or maybe they have a lower body temperature than you. Sometime when you're not feeling abnormally hot, ask the same people if you feel hot. Maybe they'll still say that you feel hot. Human senses are terrible for gauging actual temperatures.

When i'm feeling more "normal", others say my forehead doesn't feel hot.
It feels hot when i'm feeling feverish, let's say 80% of the time yet my body temperature stays low/normal. o_O

Wolfcub

Well @Thinktank I certainly do know that fluey feverish feeling but with no overt "flu" i.e. respiratory symptoms, and a below-normal temperature.
That's what happened when I first became unwell suddenly a year ago today.
It's not just the actual heat, i's that particular grunge feeling you get when you have a fever.
Yet I never -from day 1, actually had a fever!

toyfoof

Same for me. My daily body temperature is in the 95-96 degree range (F), about 2-3 degrees below normal. Even when I have that feverish feeling, and my face feels hot to the touch (my mom and boyfriend have both felt it), my actual temperature is low.

It is very frustrating, and I think symbolic of the problems we have with knowing something is wrong with us, but nothing is showing up on clinical tests!

uglevod

From what?
I'm thinking about LPS induced inflammation.

Yep, why not. There are many associations between level of endotoxemia and and blood inflammation markers:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/8/1809

Generally cholesterol rises(LDL rises, HDL falls, Total Chol rises), Triglycerides rise. Carbs resistance drops.
So simple blood test could clear the things up a bit, I guess.

The best check that I've found is how fast blood glucose drops after high carb meat challenge: the longer it takes for the blood glucose to return to the baseline after say 100g cooked white rice, the greater the extremum the higher background inflammation(endotoxemia) currently exists.

Last edited:

Thinktank

My cholesterol values have been way off since i've been sick. I know LDL can rise with chronic infections.
My LDL is high, HDL low, total cholesterol normal or slightly elevated.
My carbs resistance is very bad, glucose tolerance test showed an abnormality.
How does that tie in with endotoxemia?

Edit: Ah, it's probably explained in the article you posted. Will have to read that.

uglevod

How does that tie in with endotoxemia?

probably through adenosine:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3222030/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21270276
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23460239

and IMO most importantly:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4741691/

TLDR: during inflammation adenosine controls glucose availability for different cells, so suddenly there is a ton of free glucose floating around since adenosine basically stops glucose from being consumed by all cells except immune ones, thus poor glucose tolerance, etc.

Last edited:

Wishful

If others feel that you're hot even though your body temperature is normal, then maybe it's increased blood flow to your forehead, or skin in general. You could try measuring your skin (forehead?) temperature when you feel feverish and when you don't.

If it is a blood flow issue, you might be able to identify the factor, such as nitric oxide, and maybe find a treatment for it, if it annoys you.

RyeRyeBread

I feel like i have a bad case of influenza and my forehead feels hot to the touch.
Yet, my body temperature is low to normal. I live with this day in day out.

What might cause my forehead to feel so hot? (When others feel my forehead they also say it's hot), yet having a low to normal body temperature?
My hypothalamus must be completely dysregulated or somehow damaged.
i get this sometimes when I'm crashing
half the time I have no actual fever, and the rest of the time its a low grade fever