• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experience with Amantadine?

So my general practitioner doc prescribed Amantadine HCL 100 mg for me to try the mornings.

Has anyone tried this for focus and/or help to start the day?

If so, is this a low dose for us? Also, doc said it would also help with nerves.

I have tried modafinil but I can only take very small amounts and not regularly and not on worse days. I am a little nervous because in the past doc has prescribed too high a dose for me with modafinil, and another stimulant.

I am not looking for a huge energy boost or anything, just a bit of mental clarity and focus, and to start the day earlier. I tend to get more energy later in the afternoon and evening.

hapl808

I don't know if amantadine is something that you can titrate. For modafinil, I tried the smallest pill and then split it down to 25mg. Still crashed from it so it was a no-go for me, but I'm sure the crash from 100mg would've been far worse.

hmnr asg

regarding modafinil: I tried it, it was terrible! Not only it didnt help me, it gave me insomnia. It truly sucks.
I have also tried amantadine and memantine. Amantadine is actually good and gave me some focus, but I have read that you get desensitized to it so people seem to take it for a week and then a break. So be on the lookout for that, but I think its definitely worth a try.

Shanti1

Administrator
I use amantadine occasionally for focus. I find it to be gentler than modafinil. I have 100mg tablets and I take about 25mg at a time. When I first took it, I started even lower to make sure my body was ok with it.

It promotes dopamine release and also has some NMDA antagonistic effect, which I think helps temper the stimulation. It was also once used as an antiviral for influenza A until most strains became resistant.

I have also tried two other medications in the same class, memantine and bromantane. For me, memantine is a little more calming, it has stronger NMDA antagonism. Bromantane was more sedating that stimulating for me, but I have read from others on this site who prefer it for that reason. I prefer the amantadine when I simply feel foggy, but if my brain feels wired and unfocused, I like memantine.

almost

Amantadine is one of the very few drugs I have an allergic reaction to -- I got terrible hives all over my body. It's uncommon but not for this individual. What's funny for several years now is when I see a doc, the intake nurse goes over my allergies and each new one asks "what's amantadine? Never heard of it."

Also made famous on a House, MD episode.

Didn't know it was still in use. I truly hope it works for you.

Last edited:

Hip

Dr David Bell found amantadine 25 mg to 50 mg twice daily helps reduce fatigue ME/CFS, but says higher doses can exacerbate symptoms and can cause jitteriness. Ref: 1

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone, very helpful! I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow to see if I can get it in tablet form and start with lower doses.