• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Expecting long and difficult PEM

Likaloha

Since losing my rheumatologist/pain doctor I could not find another because of a circumstance beyond my control....since going through a terrible withdrawal in middle of January, I have been having bouts daily of very low blood pressure and erratic high pulse. I have had high blood pressure for years which was controlled by meds, but after seeing my PCP and finally a cardiologist my b.p. is just now starting to get back to normal. This took at least a dozen med changes and am hoping for finally finding some balance in my b.p. and pulse soon, but the last 4 or 5 months of this, accompanied by no relief for my unrelenting pain seems like one very long crash and one neck of a long and unpleasant case of PEM.
just needed a place to vent where others understand, and if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful! Thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have been having bouts daily of very low blood pressure and erratic high pulse. I have had high blood pressure for years which was controlled by meds, but after seeing my PCP and finally a cardiologist
I see an electrophysiologist (a cardiologist who specializes in heart rhythms). Before I was seeing a general cardiologist and he was not nearly as helpful for this sort of thing. There are electrophysiologists in most every city.

Likaloha

Do you mean withdrawal of pain medication?
Yes! Very uncomfortable and made me so sick...My docs think the withdrawal meds have caused in some way the really bad low b.p. and very high pulse. I have fairly significant brain damage from near fatal case of West Nile meningoencephalitis in 2002 which causes all sort of weirdness for me!

Likaloha

I see an electrophysiologist (a cardiologist who specializes in heart rhythms). Before I was seeing a general cardiologist and he was not nearly as helpful for this sort of thing. There are electrophysiologists in most every city.
Sushi....there is an electrophophysiologist in the practice with my cardiologist but have yet to see him/her.....I am scheduled for an echocardiogram soon! Thanks for the reply!