• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exertion is unrelated to me/cfs symptoms / crashes

GreenEdge

i think you may be confusing magnesium with sodium or potassium

these will spontaneously ignite if dropped in water - magnesium will not ( it will burn with an exceedingly bright light if heated to white heat in the presence of oxygen - so perhaps this is where the confusion is coming from)
Whoops, I asked myself 'Why magnesium must be attached to something to be absorbed?' and that came to mind. I was confusing magnesium with sodium. Now that I think about it, wouldn't magnesium react with stomach acid to form magnesium chloride (Mg + HCl = MgCl2 + H2) which would then be absorbed after leaving the stomach. Google has the answer:
What happens if you ingest magnesium metal?

► Exposure to Magnesium may cause “metal fume fever.” This is a flu-like illness with symptoms of metallic taste in the mouth, headache, fever and chills, aches, chest tightness and cough.

Garz

Google has the answer:

many metals do that - eg welders who weld galvanised steel without suitable protection get a flue like illness from the excess zinc vapours that evaporate off as the steel is melted - zinc like magnesium is an essential mineral.

the illness is caused by too much of it in elemental form through a route we are not designed for - eg the lungs