• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Excellent article in The Mirror on ME, prompted by the Acu seeds promotion on Dragons Den

Countrygirl

Excellent article on ME prompted by the Dragons Den acu seeds row in The Mirror.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news...mqLmMEa2zYiUgsKWC6g1voAdi7GYEedRCQ_zAh0M2FNik

'Dragons' Den scandal has caused untold damage to vulnerable viewers - pulling episode is not enough'​

The BBC has been embroiled in controversy after medical charities and experts condemned Giselle Boxer's pitch on Dragons' Den. This isn't some small cock-up - the irresponsible claims play into a wider culture of misinformation about ME.

'Dragons' Den scandal has caused untold damage to vulnerable viewers - pulling episode is not enough'​

The BBC has been embroiled in controversy after medical charities and experts condemned Giselle Boxer's pitch on Dragons' Den. This isn't some small cock-up - the irresponsible claims play into a wider culture of misinformation about ME
0_Screenshot-2024-01-23-at-145004-2.jpg

Charities and experts say Giselle Boxer's pitched is not backed by medical evidence (
Image: BBC)

Ellie Fry

If a budding entrepreneur waltzed through the doors of Dragons' Den and brazenly pitched a 'DIY' cure to cancer, investors would be rightfully horrified. Yet that's exactly what happened on the show last week, only for a different debilitating, life-altering illness that leaves many of its sufferers bedbound, and in severe cases, threatens their lives.
Giselle Boxer appeared on the show to ask the Dragons for £50,000 for a 10% stake in her business, which sells "DIY needle-free acupuncture for anxiety, migraines, hormonal issues, insomnia, weight loss and more". In the episode aired last week, she claimed a similar product to the £30 gold-plated ear seeds she now sells helped 'cure' her ME, which has no known cure. Since the show aired, the BBC has been hit with a swathe of complaints from experts and charities who insist there's zero evidence to back up these 'snake oil' claims.

Her controversial Acu Seeds product made history on the show when all six investors put in an offer, but experts have since pointed out that none of the Dragons pressed Giselle on whether her business idea was at all backed by medical evidence. As outrage grew, the BBC doubled down with an abysmal response, claiming that "Dragons' Den features products from entrepreneurs and is not an endorsement of them." The Mirror then revealed that Giselle was approached by BBC researchers to take part, embroiling the show in further controversy and leaving charities questioning what due diligence took place to protect vulnerable consumers from misleading medical claims...................