• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Evil Microglial Cells

Wishful

It's an article about (a book about) how microglial cells can become chronically destructive following brain injury. It seems reasonable to me that ME could trigger similar responses. One interesting bit is research into 'rebooting' the microglial system: totally removing all the existing ones and replacing them with fresh ones. Maybe that would work for ME.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-02-29...gel-and-the-assassin-nakazawa-ballantine.html

Last edited:

Hip

Did you mean to provide a link?

At the bottom of this post, there is a list of factors and supplements which influence whether microglia switch to their M1 neurodestructive mode, or their M2 neuroprotective mode.

Wishful

Elderberries are supposed to be anti-inflammatory, but they make my ME symptoms much worse. Even a small sip of Sambuca (flavoured with elderberries) has that effect, so I seem to be quite sensitive to whatever is at work.

Rufous McKinney

Elderberries are supposed to be anti-inflammatory, but they make my ME symptoms much worse

could that be- increased autoimmune response as a result of taking something immune stimulating?

I get a bit nervous- about stimulating more immune activity. I seem to have decided to take immune stimulating only occasionally (like if I"m concerned I was near germs)...but not every day.

Wishful

Yes, I assume that elderberry's immunostimulant properties are responsible for their effect on me. It would be my first choice if I wanted to stimulate my immune system. My ME symptoms seem strongly tied to immune system activity, so elderberries are a two-edged sword, so to speak.

Back