• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Essential Oils May Lead α-Synuclein towards Toxic Fibrils Formation

osisposis

Parkinsons Dis. 2016; 2016: 6219249.
Published online 2016 May 24. doi: 10.1155/2016/6219249
PMCID: PMC4894988
Essential Oils May Lead α-Synuclein towards Toxic Fibrils Formation
Dina Morshedi * and Mahour Nasouti
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4894988/

Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:736385. doi: 10.1155/2014/736385. Epub 2014 Jan 12.
Neurotoxicants are in the air: convergence of human, animal, and in vitro studies on the effects of air pollution on the brain.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24524086
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3912642/
Air pollution is a mixture comprised of several components, including ambient particulate matter (PM), gases, organic compounds, and metals. The association between air pollution and morbidity and mortality caused by respiratory and cardiovascular diseases is well established [1–3]. Among air pollution components, PM is believed to be the most widespread threat and has been heavily implicated in disease [2, 4, 5]. PM is broadly characterized by aerodynamic diameter (e.g., PM10 and PM2.5, equivalent to <10 μm and 2.5 μm in diameter, respectively; [2]). Ultrafine particulate matter (UFPM; <100 nm) is of much concern, as these particles can more easily enter the circulation and distribute to various organs, including the brain [6, 7]. Of most relevance is also the fact that UFPM can gain access to the brain directly through the nasal olfactory mucosa, reaching first the olfactory bulb [7–11]. In vitro studies have shown that PM is cytotoxic and that toxicity is size-dependent, with the smaller UFPM being better able to enter the cells and exert toxic effects [12–15].

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3912642/citedby/

I cant even be around essential oils, at all, amoung many other smelly things, when I went to Gray in Az. he actually had this lady, Kristina Townsend, trying to push essential oils on everyone that saw him, I tried telling her that wasn't the thing to do! :( she was a lady that was supposedly very ill from a water damaged building touting essential oils as a cure all, don't fall for it!

Mohawk1995

trying to push essential oils on everyone that saw him, I tried telling her that wasn't the thing to do!

This seems to be a common practice among providers who "attempt" to treat ME/CFS. That is truly sad! In fact, I would say it has been this type of mindset that is more at the fault with those who have pushed CBT/GET for ME/CFS than the actual treatment itself. Obviously not practicing Evidence Based Medicine especially when ignoring the patient's requests and their response. Total lack of placing value on the patient!!! Very bad!!!

As for Essential Oils in the treatment of ME/CFS:
  • At worst it is likely to create a negative response due to the strong odors and intolerance of many ME patients
  • At best, it seems like it would be like trying to put out a raging forest fire with a single gallon bucket to carry water.
Maybe there are those who have found success with Essential Oils and that is great. Just my thoughts.

Hip

The three essential oils mentioned in this study that were found to have a protein fibrillation affect are:

Myrtus communis (myrtle) — this had the strongest effect
Foeniculum vulgare (fennel)
Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary)

Fennel and rosemary are currently in the FDA's Generally Recognized as Safe for ingestion list of essential oils.

Note that this was an in vitro study, so may not translate to in vivo.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Keeping in mind that in the Nilotinib trial within 3 months of discontinuation the Parkinson's (hence presumably alpha synuclein) returned to its previous levels. Its unlikely all the patients were exposed to essential oils at all and at a level that replenished years of essential oil exposure buildup all at the same time