• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EPA/IPE and pure EPA brands

SWAlexander

I did a search and found this:

An allergy to eggs is a medical condition in which the immune system reacts abnormally to proteins found in eggs, typically the proteins found in egg whites. This condition is known as an egg allergy.

Egg allergies can vary in severity, and symptoms can range from mild to severe. Common symptoms of an egg allergy include:
  1. Skin reactions: This may include hives, itching, or eczema.
  2. Digestive symptoms: These can include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhea.
  3. Respiratory symptoms: These might include nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing.
  4. Anaphylaxis: In severe cases, an egg allergy can lead to a life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. Symptoms of anaphylaxis can include swelling of the face and throat, a sudden drop in blood pressure, rapid pulse, and difficulty breathing. Anaphylaxis requires immediate medical attention and treatment with epinephrine.

linusbert

I can't do eggs...they make me so sick...would canned salmon also have rancid oils, do you think? I've been craving fish lately and had some of that available.
i dont know, i am also looking desperately for something. with canned fish can histamine become a problem if you are sensitive to that.

did you try
- raw egg yolk without any white?
- hard cocked egg yolk?
- different egg, duck, goat, turtle?

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
i dont know, i am also looking desperately for something. with canned fish can histamine become a problem if you are sensitive to that.

did you try
- raw egg yolk without any white?
- hard cocked egg yolk?
- different egg, duck, goat, turtle?

I seem okay with histamines but can't do any egg...I don't have access to turtle or goat (goat????) eggs but did try duck eggs and even though they seemed somewhat okay initially, are causing the same problems now as the chicken eggs do. :(

So if histamines are okay for me do you think canned salmon (the oils in that) would be okay and not rancid?

Egg allergies can vary in severity, and symptoms can range from mild to severe. Common symptoms of an egg allergy include:
I did test positive to chicken egg allergy but even the duck's eggs are a problem now too.

I didn't used to be able to take choline, then for a while was able, and now can't again so I wonder if it also has to do with choline processing as it affects my heart badly.

Eggs and choline (sunflower lecithin) both make my "heart tiredness" worse and mean at least a 2-3 day really bad crash afterward. :(

linusbert

So if histamines are okay for me do you think canned salmon (the oils in that) would be okay and not rancid?
i cannot tell you to what degree those are rancid.
yEggs and choline (sunflower lecithin) both make my "heart tiredness" worse and mean at least a 2-3 day really bad crash afterward. :(
that you might fix with l-carnitine

godlovesatrier

So I took 2g but since then I've been feeling rather unwell. I'm sure it's just a coincidence to be honest. I seem to have come down with a virus. Anyway when it's gone I'll restart at a lower dose 500mg a day. In my case I think that might be enough. I had an amazing day when I took 2g 🤣 but I definitely felt crashed the day after it wasn't severe tho.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I tried one of the EPA only oils (the one Keepswimming mentioned) sometime last year when someone (maybe Pyrrhus?) talked about them and did not feel well on it. I still have the bottle in my refrigerator. I just think I do much better on the mixed oils but am concerned about them being rancid like Linusbert talked about.

As I said I've been craving fish lately and also experiencing depression because of some beta blockers so maybe I'm craving it because fish oils are supposed to be helpful for that. ???

Yep, it was Pyrrhus...I found those posts: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/search/849340/?q=oils&c[users]=pyrrhus&o=date (It was the first one there.)

linusbert

As I said I've been craving fish lately and also experiencing depression because of some beta blockers so maybe I'm craving it because fish oils are supposed to be helpful for that. ???
fish also has good proteins and good fat composition besides omega3. if your body craves fish, i'd try to get some fish, at best fresh fish. maybe you have connections to some folks who do wild fishing and can bring you a fish over?
if you have a regional board , maybe in supermarket or online, try to ask for this. i've seen videos about americans doing hobby fishing in almost every water body which has fish in the usa, so if you are not living in the desert chances are that there are some folks who go fishing near you and maybe might want to help out.

So I took 2g but since then I've been feeling rather unwell. I'm sure it's just a coincidence to be honest. I seem to have come down with a virus. Anyway when it's gone I'll restart at a lower dose 500mg a day. In my case I think that might be enough. I had an amazing day when I took 2g 🤣 but I definitely felt crashed the day after it wasn't severe tho.
i crash on regular fatty fish like salmon for like 1-2 hours after wards, recovering hours later.
i dont crash on fish filette, means little fatty fish meat.
what i suspect is happening is that the fat in fat rich fish is turning metabolism around to switching to fat burning which might be impaired in my body. probably i run on glucose most of the time, when it shifts i crash.
i also got this from eggs at some point and fish oil or omega oils.

i had the feeling when i took l-carnitine (or carnitine fumarate which is my choice of carnitine) this short crash after fish goes away. i didnt have fatty fish for a long time because our nursing home kitchen got problems, i will not dare anymore.

it also makes sense, fatty fish and fish oil contain exactly those long chain fatty acids which carnitine is supposed to shuttle in and out of cells.
so next time you eat some fish or oils, try to take at the same time some carnitine.

Last edited:

SWAlexander

i crash on regular fatty fish like salmon for like 1-2 hours after wards, recovering hours later.
i dont crash on fish filette, means little fatty fish meat.
I wonder since I could not eat salmon during Covid-19, if there is some blockage about Vit-A.
I have no problems eating liver.

Information gathered:

Natural vitamin A, also known as preformed vitamin A, is the type of vitamin A that is found in animal-based food sources and is readily usable by the human body. The two primary forms of natural vitamin A are retinol and retinyl esters. Here are some common sources of natural vitamin A:
  1. Liver: Liver from various animals, such as beef, pork, chicken, and fish, is one of the richest sources of natural vitamin A.
  2. Fatty Fish: Certain fish, like salmon, mackerel, and tuna, contain significant amounts of vitamin A, particularly in the form of retinol.
  3. Dairy Products: Dairy foods like whole milk, cheese, and butter contain natural vitamin A, mainly in the form of retinol.
  4. Egg Yolks: Egg yolks are another source of natural vitamin A, primarily in the form of retinol.
  5. Cod Liver Oil: This oil is a concentrated source of natural vitamin A and is often used as a dietary supplement.
  6. Organ Meats: In addition to liver, other organ meats like kidney and heart also contain natural vitamin A.
  7. Animal Fat: Fats from animal sources can contain small amounts of vitamin A.
Natural vitamin A is already in its active form (retinol) when consumed from animal sources, so the body can readily use it for various functions, such as maintaining vision, supporting the immune system, and promoting skin health. It's important to consume these foods in moderation to avoid excessive intake of vitamin A, which can be toxic.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Today I took https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007TUK2IE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details PharmEPA. I took 4 caps which equals 2g and I had enough energy to go to the shop, wash up, make lunches for the week and write this post. Still with some energy to spare. Quite a huge benefit to be honest I was surprised. I've taken omega 3 for 6 years but long covid pharma's analysis got me intrigued in pure EPA with very little to no DHA.

@godlovesatrier - you've inspired me to give this a try! The link you provided for PharmEPA says its unavailable, but here's another one (for the U.S. at least): https://www.amazon.com/Pharmepa-Abs...ocphy=1026424&hvtargid=pla-425062972313&psc=1

One question - did you crash the next day after doing all of that? I've had certain things increase my energy but if I then use all that energy, I invariably crash the next day. So though energy increased, my energy envelope didn't. But supposedly the high EPA is supposed to help with "exercise intolerance" which I presume means PEM - maybe?

ETA: Just read above that you did crash the next day, though not too severely . . .

I like LongCovidPharmD - I've run across her before, am really impressed with her -

godlovesatrier

Yes mild crash but honestly not that bad. I restarted at 500mg two days ago. I'm currently suffering from acute stress mixed with exhausted adrenals so I don't think my body is tolerating EPA like it would under normal circumstances.

My body is extremely in and down right now. My sleep has become very poor. So I'm taking it slow with new things.

I still wish I had something better for general anxiety control. Saying that Hips thread is excellent and the stuff he discusses does work.

Good luck with the epa maybe you will tolerate 2g.

I think the only thing that comes close to the ipe study dose is 4g epa per day but please check the link first.

linusbert

i am now testing flaxseed oil, we have in germany a good supplier Rapunzel which produces really clean and oxidation-less with its oxyguard technology.
also whats nice for me personally, its one of only plant oil seeds i tried recently i seam not to have a allergic reaction.
EDIT: ok, next day i became a minor itch on the head after consumin the oil. yesterday i didnt. weird. i wonder is it better to continue and hope the anti inflamatory effects will prevail or better not?

flaxseed either in oil but even the seed itself does have the same properties.
so either try a good flaxseed oil. how to tell good apart? if it tastes bitter its not good anymore. a good flaxseed oil tastes nutty and slight slight bitter.
or go directly for the seeds, than you can exclude the oxidation risk. but the seeds need to be crushed. maybe chew them really good or get a salt dispenser with crushing blades inside.

the properties of flaxseed oil is that somewhat like 50% of its oil is ALA (alpha linoic acid) which is said to reduce inflammation , even better than fish oil. its effects are not by EPA.

so i am on 1 tsp flaxseed oil a day now. 2 tsp of flaxseeds should have the same effects.

(careful not to overdue with flaxseed products, flaxseed naturally is rich in cyanide. maybe hydroxocobalamin is a nice addition to counter that)

Last edited:
There are a few threads on this but I want to draw peoples attention to Long covid pharmas substack on IPE. If you can't get IPE on prescription in america or elsewhere then EPA supps are second best.

Long covid pharma went to the trouble of researching them for us and checking toxicology. She's a pharmacist if you're wondering.

https://pharmd.substack.com/p/high-dose-epa-for-long-covid-and

So whilst IPE is the best thing to get on prescription, a good EPA supp is your second best.

Any product will not do, the product has to have high levels of pure EPA, with next to no DHA to stand a chance of even working. You also need to take 2 to 4g a day to get anywhere near the IPE dosage.

DHA vs EPA benefits:

View attachment 52368
Products

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fbfe85313-28a9-4fef-8825-b55540d0fdc9_960x1300.png

I tried the nordic brand but it had lemon fragrance in it and gave me unplesant heartburn, also I didn't notice any real improvement.

I've also taken vegepa and noticed zero benefit - literally nothing.

Today I took https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007TUK2IE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details PharmEPA. I took 4 caps which equals 2g and I had enough energy to go to the shop, wash up, make lunches for the week and write this post. Still with some energy to spare. Quite a huge benefit to be honest I was surprised. I've taken omega 3 for 6 years but long covid pharma's analysis got me intrigued in pure EPA with very little to no DHA.

Be interesting to see what happens with other areas like cognition. Normally if I did as much as I did today I'd get dizzy and feel a bit disorientated and need to sit down.

So thought I'd share these brands and the PharmEPA expeirnece.
‘Consumer Labs’ have also done testing on DHA and EPA supplements, and unfortunately turns out many are contaminated with heavy metals and many had actually gone rancid inside the capsules. But you can’t tell unless you open them.

However the cleanest source of DHA and EPA is directly taken from algae where it formed originally, not from fish. As they the fish are just eating algae anyway. The problem is fish can contaminate it in the process. So best go to the actual original source algae. The only issue is it costs more. But a much healthier option

SWAlexander

Now I know more about not tolerating egg whites.
My albumin level is still high.

Explanation:
Egg white allergy, also known as egg white hypersensitivity or egg albumen allergy, is an allergic reaction to the proteins found in egg whites. Eggs are a common food allergen, and the allergy can manifest in various ways, ranging from mild to severe symptoms. It's important to note that some people may be allergic to the egg white (albumen) portion of the egg while being able to tolerate the egg yolk.
Common symptoms of an egg white allergy can include:
  1. Skin reactions: These may include hives (itchy, raised welts on the skin), eczema, or contact dermatitis.
  2. Gastrointestinal symptoms: These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
  3. Respiratory symptoms: Wheezing, coughing, runny nose, nasal congestion, and sneezing may occur.
  4. Oral allergy syndrome: Some individuals with egg allergies may experience itching or tingling sensations in the mouth and throat when consuming egg whites.
  5. Anaphylaxis: In rare cases, egg white allergy can lead to a severe and life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. Symptoms of anaphylaxis may include difficulty breathing, swelling of the face and throat, a rapid or weak pulse, and a drop in blood pressure. Anaphylaxis requires immediate medical attention and may be treated with an epinephrine (adrenaline) injection.
Diagnosing an egg white allergy typically involves a combination of clinical history, skin prick tests, and blood tests to measure specific antibodies (IgE) against egg proteins. An allergist can help determine the exact cause of the allergic reaction and provide guidance on managing the allergy.
Treatment for egg white allergy involves strict avoidance of egg whites and foods containing them.

keepswimming

Yeah let us know. These products aren't cheap 😭 I just wish iherb postage wasn't so slow. Good luck!
So my experience with EPA is that my stomach does not like it at all! I've tried different dosages, taking it with food etc and it's been a major trigger for my IBS-d so I've given up. It's funny though, it seems to have a cumulative effect, unlike other triggers which effect me quickly.

I have no problems eating food sources of omega 3 however, so I will continue trying to include them in my diet!