• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV and Sulforaphane study in NPC

JasonUT

The results show that SFN inhibits transactivation activity of the EBV
immediate-early gene Rta but not Zta. Together, our results suggest that SFN has the capability to inhibit EBV lytic
cycle and the potential to be taken as a dietary compound for prevention of EBV reactivation.

As I read this, it appears that SFN may inhibit the early EBV proteins during lytic replication. It is thought by some, that an aborted viral infection, leaving early protein garage in human cells, might be causing cellular dysfunction in ME/CFS. Perhaps, SFN might be complimentary in disrupting early EBV protein replication?

Last edited:

GreenEdge

Sulforaphane is a powerful NRF2 Activator.

NRF2 is a powerful protein that is latent within each cell in the body, unable to move or operate until it is released by an Nrf2 activator. Once released it migrates into the cell nucleus and bonds to the DNA at the location of the Antioxidant Response Element (ARE) which is the master regulator of the total antioxidant system that is available within ALL human cells.

When Nrf2 is activated in the nucleus, it turns on the production of antioxidant enzymes such as Catalase, Glutathione and Superoxide Dismutase (SOD). These antioxidant enzymes are powerful enough to neutralize up to one million free radicals per second, every second.

Sulforaphane and Its Effects on Cancer, Mortality, Aging, Brain and Behavior, Heart Disease & More

However, sulforaphane is an unstable molecule (poor shelf life) so you need to get it fresh. The richest dietary source of sulforaphane is broccoli sprouts. The sprouts contain 100X more sulforaphane than broccoli.

EddieB

As I read this, it appears that SFN may inhibit the early EBV proteins during lytic replication. It is thought by some, that an aborted viral infection, leaving early protein garage in human cells, might be causing cellular dysfunction in ME/CFS. Perhaps, SFN might be complimentary in disrupting early EBV protein replication?
Have you gone any further with trying this? I found it in a powder form, not sure it would be as effective but a lot easier to deal with.

Learner1

I took sulforophane and broccoli sprouts early on, as well as artesunate, ozobr and high dose vitamin C. Even though they're all useful on paper, they did nothing for my EBV and other viral infections. I spent a lot of money and wasted a lot of time, until I got onto Valcyte and IVIG.

Maybe for someone who's not too ill, it would be useful, but with a full blown case of EBV driven ME/CFS, my opinion is one needs bigger guns.

EddieB

I took sulforophane and broccoli sprouts early on, as well as artesunate, ozobr and high dose vitamin C. Even though they're all useful on paper, they did nothing for my EBV and other viral infections. I spent a lot of money and wasted a lot of time, until I got onto Valcyte and IVIG.

Maybe for someone who's not too ill, it would be useful, but with a full blown case of EBV driven ME/CFS, my opinion is one needs bigger guns.
Certainly don’t need to waste time/money on things that don’t work, thanks.