• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: The HRA’s Letter about the Investigation of Bristol Research

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2019/10/28/t...bKNGPUPEETpjC_l9GkGUcKWr1ThBO9Jn8bvYGewmEWfX8

Trial By Error: The HRA’s Letter about the Investigation of Bristol Research
28 OCTOBER 2019

By David Tuller, DrPH

Last week, the National Health Service’s Health Research Authority published a long-awaited (by me) investigation of 11 studies from Bristol University. All 11 studies were spearheaded by Professor Esther Crawley, the University of Bristol’s high-profile pediatrician. I had flagged these studies as problematic because in every case the Bristol team exempted them from ethical review on the questionable grounds that they constituted “service evaluation” rather than “research.”

This “independent” investigation confirmed the obvious–the ethics statements were inadequate to describe the activities involved, as I had pointed out. To be clear, a shrewd sleuth initially sussed out these irregularities and alerted me to the issues; again, my work has piggy-backed on other people’s discoveries.

I have many thoughts about this investigation and the inadequacy of the recommended remedies. For now, however, I am posting the letter I received from the HRA at the same time the agency sent me the report itself. As the letter requests, I am posting the text in full rather than selected excerpts. (The formatting of the text in WordPress differs somewhat from the formatting of the original letter. Because of my lack of technological prowess, I’m not sure how to reproduce the image of the letter in the blog. The phrases below in bold replicate the use of boldface in the letter itself.)
22 October 2019