• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Double vision

BrightCandle

That's interesting with the closing the bad eye. How different is the vision between your eyes? Do you also see differences in colour tones?

The discomfort from focusing on screens, is it more so screens that are close up like your mobile phone, and do you get motion sickness and/or migrainish (not necessarily the headache part) or hangover/ poisoned feelings?? Especially when you are already mentally exhausted?
About 0.50 in terms of being slightly more short sighted but its also less saturated in colour notably. Even when corrected with my glasses I still have more issues with that eye when my vision gets fatigued. Oddly it mostly happens on my desktop computer screen not my tablet, I think its just because its brighter and harder to change the brightness so I don't reduce it down when its dimmer.

My motion sickness and migraines, hangover and poisoned feeling all gets worse the longer I do it.

Last edited:

Wishful

wondering if you feel motion sickness at all when you have these vision issues.
Nope, no motion sickness from vision.

Do you also see differences in colour tones?
My eyes have different colour receptors; vision is redder in one eye and bluer in the other. FWIW, the correction for each eye is fairly different too. Right now my long-range glasses are a bit too weak for one eye, and I really should order new glasses. No vertigo or headaches or whatever from the out-of-focus eye.

Wishful

I definitely get way worse double vision when trying to focus on things far away, if I just got done staring at a phone screen for like ten or more minutes.
I don't notice a difference after even hours of close vision; my long-range double vision remains the same. I'm unwilling to give up reading and computer time for weeks or months to see whether that has an effect, especially since I doubt that it would.

hapl808

My vision just gets 'bad' when I overdo it. When I was more mild, I spent years trying different prescriptions, even though my RX is very mild. Now that I understand ME/CFS better, I realize it's not unusual to have your vision change during PEM episodes, and it can't really be RX'ed away. Sometimes double vision, sometimes just a bit blurry, sometimes hard to focus.

Wishful

The only factor that does reliably affect the severity of my double vision is proline intake, at least the last time I paid attention to that. I could gauge my proline intake by how far apart the images of a distant tree were in the morning. Why proline would do that is still a mystery.

Rufous McKinney

I developed double-vision maybe 15 years into my ME. I'm pretty sure that it'd due to altered neural function.
I was seeing double: yesterday.

A new level of panic and anxiety set in.

It seemed better this morning.

I do not entirely grasp what is going on yet. I can only take in so much at a time.

its clearly something in the brain or neurons.

(I totally realized it when I took out a package of bamboo skewers (large toothpicks) AND there were FOUR in the package. Only the four were TWO. )

Wishful

I'm pretty sure I had serious double-vision for many months; I just didn't realize it until I needed to drive home in the dark, and all those bright signs were doubled, and the road marking split into two. That was scary. During the daytime, it didn't matter if there were twice as many trees in the distance.

FWIW, my optometrist didn't seem to think it was something worth following up on, and neither did/do I. I think it's just some glial or neural connections not processing data correctly, allowing the eyes to not track correctly.

Wishful

It's too bad that double-vision doesn't offer some benefits, such as enjoying food twice as much. If it looks like two donuts, I should be able to enjoy both of them (with only the calories of one).

Rufous McKinney

I think it's just some glial or neural connections not processing data correctly, allowing the eyes to not track correctly.

I agree it's something neurological.......I woke up with extra remarkably blurred vision that morning, and later realized the double thing. (Freak out). (driving at night ended ten years ago for me)

but the next day, I could tell it had backed off. (just back to blurry).

Rufous McKinney

It's too bad that double-vision doesn't offer some benefits
one actor in a drama I am watching, had the scariest eyes...in this doubled state.

And two paintings on the wall, I had painted myself, also doubled.

I kept taking my glasses off and cleaning them...wondering why that didn't work?