• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DOMS : D-Ribose effect on college students before and after exercice (2020); Amino acid metabolism and delayed-onset muscle soreness (2023)

pattismith

Effect of D-ribose supplementation on delayed onset muscle soreness induced by plyometric exercise in college students​

Abstract​

Objective​

Previous investigations suggest that appropriate nutritional interventions may reduce delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). This study examined the effect of D-ribose supplementation on DOMS induced by plyometric exercise.

Methods​

For the purpose of inducing DOMS, 21 untrained male college students performed a lower-limb plyometric exercise session that involved 7 sets of 20 consecutive frog hops with 90-s of rest between each set. Muscle soreness was measured with a visual analogue scale 1-h before, 24-h after, and 48-h after exercise.

Subjects were then randomly placed into the D-ribose group (DRIB, n = 11) and the placebo group (PLAC, n = 10) to assure equivalent BMI and muscle soreness.

After a 14-d washout/recovery period, subjects performed the same exercise session, with DRIB ingesting a 200 ml solution containing 15 g D-ribose 1-h before, 1-h, 12-h, 24-h, and 36-h after exercise, and PLAC ingesting a calorically equivalent placebo of the same volume and taste containing sorbitol and β-cyclodextrin.

Muscle soreness and isokinetic muscle strength were measured, and venous blood was assessed for markers of muscle damage and oxidative stress 1-h before, 24-h and 48-h after exercise.

Results​

In DRIB, muscle soreness after 24-h and 48-h in the second exercise session were significantly lower (p < 0.01) than was experienced in the first exercise session

. In the second exercise, blood-related markers of muscle soreness, including creatine kinase, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), myoglobin and malondialdehyde (MDA) in DRIB after 24-h were lower in DRIB after 24-h than in PLAC (MDA, p < 0.05; rest outcomes, p < 0.01).

In addition, LDH and MDA in DRIB were significantly lower (p < 0.01) after 24-h in DRIB than in PLAC.

No difference was found in isokinetic muscle strength and oxidative stress markers, including superoxide dismutase and total antioxidant capacity, between DRIB and PLAC after 24-h and 48-h.

Conclusion​

D-ribose supplementation reduces muscle soreness, improves recovery of muscle damage, and inhibits the formation of lipid peroxides.

Young adult males performing plyometric exercise are likely to realize a DOMS reduction through consumption of D-ribose in 15 g/doses both before (1-h) and after (1-h, 12-h, 24-h, 36-h) exercise.

These results suggest that appropriately timed consumption of D-ribose may induce a similar alleviation of exercise-induced DOMS in the general public.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12970-020-00371-8

pattismith

The metabolic recovery of marathon runners: an untargeted 1H-NMR metabolomics perspective 2023​

.....​

4.3 Amino acid metabolism and delayed-onset muscle soreness​

As opposed to the steady increase in the BCAAs and lysine concentrations between D1 and D2 (although not significantly so), proline concentrations decreased at D2 following its initial recovery at D1 to PRE-related levels (Table 3).

Although not considered statistically significant, this reduction may be ascribed to the occurrence of delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS; Figure 6).

DOMS is typically defined as acute muscle pain experienced between 24 and 72 h following intensive exercise, which peaks after 48 h (Wilke and Behringer, 2021).

Accordingly, an elevated serum hydroxyproline concentration was seen by Stander et al. (2020) 48 h post-marathon, indicating the onset of delayed post-marathon collagen breakdown.

Additionally, the non-significant D2 elevation in creatine (Table 3) and previously reported elevations in inflammatory markers and epidermal growth factor (Clifford et al., 2017) have respectively been associated with an upregulation in creatine kinase activity and the regulation of muscle anabolism/repair, which further supports the occurrence of DOMS.

In addition, the aforementioned reduction in citric acid concentrations within 48 h post-marathon, although not significantly so, may also be attributed to an upregulated ATP-citrate lyase activity. This enzyme has been associated with increased skeletal muscle regeneration and myofiber differentiation via histone acetylation (Das et al., 2017), thereby associating citric acid with DOMS.
. Interestingly, following initial D1 recovery of phenylalanine and tyrosine, their concentrations decreased at D2 (Table 3) relative to PRE levels, with that of tyrosine being statistically significant (p = 1.29 × 10−2, d = 1.20; Supplementary Table S3; Supplementary Figure S4A).

This delayed response may also be linked to the aforementioned elevated DOMS-associated inflammatory markers (Lenn et al., 2002).
The expression of guanosine-triphosphate-cyclohydrolase-1 is typically upregulated by these inflammatory markers, subsequently leading to the upregulation in tetrahydrobiopterin synthesis (Chen et al., 2011), and consequently the activities of tyrosine hydroxylase and phenylalanine hydroxylase (Capuron et al., 2011). The resultant induced breakdown of tyrosine and phenylalanine may likely increase dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine levels, which have been implicated in the modulation of muscle pain through mechanisms which remain to be elucidated (Brumovsky, 2016; Kirkpatrick et al., 2016; Mizumura and Taguchi, 2016).
This suggests the possible involvement of these neurotransmitters, tyrosine, and phenylalanine in DOMS. Of note is the neutralizing effect of ROS on tetrahydrobiopterin and consequential accumulation of tyrosine and phenylalanine, providing an additional explanation for the elevated POST concentrations thereof.

https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/physiology/articles/10.3389/fphys.2023.1117687/full

Interestingly I read another study stating that collagen peptide supplementation improve DOMS...

Mary

Moderator Resource
@pattismith - I took d-ribose for probably 10 years at least, off and on, though mainly on. Unfortunately it's one of the pricier supplements but it did boost my energy. I haven't taken it for several years but looking at this am tempted to give it another go!

pattismith

I notice ribose helps me too.

I do suffer with delayed onset muscle soreness since I am about 20 old.

Back