• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Anyone Use a Different Antiviral Instead of the Expensive Famvir? Pridgen Protocol

In The Pridgen Protocol (none of which my Insurance covers so have to go out of pocket) The combo is Celebrex and Famvir(Antiviral).

Famvir is supper expensive, but it is one of 3 Antivirals people use in Antiviral Therapy for CFS/ME. The other two being Zovirax(Acyclovir) and Valtrex(Valacyclovir).

Can I just use Valtrex which is cheaper and more bang for the buck?

Nico

In The Pridgen Protocol (none of which my Insurance covers so have to go out of pocket) The combo is Celebrex and Famvir(Antiviral).

Famvir is supper expensive, but it is one of 3 Antivirals people use in Antiviral Therapy for CFS/ME. The other two being Zovirax(Acyclovir) and Valtrex(Valacyclovir).

Can I just use Valtrex which is cheaper and more bang for the buck?

I just started a couple of days ago. I'm taking acyclovir and meloxicam (also Zantac). This is permitted as part of the protocol. Mine are all generic.

Learner1

Is there an alternative to celecoxib, which contains milk allergens and can't be compounded?

Though I've been on acyclovir, valganciclovir, and curcumin (also a COX-2 inhibitor), which has helped, but not cured me.

BadBadBear

If you are in the US, the GoodRX coupon for famcyclovir is really great. I use a smaller dose of famvir (1 g per day) than I'd need of valtrex (4 g per day), so the cost ended up being about the same overall.

I see the famvir dosing all over the place, but I think Pridgen's original protocol called for a lower dose of it (Lerner seemed to recommend higher dosing, similar to valtrex IIRC). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! :)