• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone else have low platelets but high haemoglobin/red blood cells/haematocrit

mermaid

This is a bit of a long shot, and may well have nothing to do with ME/CFS or at least it may just be part of my own version of it, and no one else's. However, I have inevitably been interested in my own blood tests to see if anything ever appears in them that may throw light on what is going on in my body, and causing the symptoms. Some things I have improved over the years by this approach, or by Serendipity. I have had an ME/CFS diagnosis since 2009.

I had a full blood count done this month, as I am due for an operation. My blood tests available to me online via my GP only go back to 2011, and I have long noted that my platelets are chronically low, but not so low that any action would be taken. I had thrombocytopenia in pregnancy 40 years ago, so this is perfectly possible to be related to this time, which would mean its autoimmune. The lowness is usually fairly stable, though I noted that this month's result was lower than usual. I happen to know that one low platelets side effect is fatigue. Another side effect is to thin the blood.

As a result of my test this year, the haemoglobin has gone over range slightly, and so they have done checks for blood clots (I have none apparently). High haemoglobin is not good news as it thickens the blood and that can cause blood clots, leading to strokes/heart attacks. I checked the history of this test, along with red blood cells and haematocrit and was surprised to see that since 2011, my test results had been in range, but high in range in all 3. A side effect of high haemoglobin is fatigue. It's possible that the highish haemoglobin is autoimmune also.

I do wonder if the low platelets and the high haemoglobin cancel each other out, in terms of the consistency of the blood! I do hope so.

My BP has always been low, thought he systolic has gone up a bit, but the diastolic has gone down, and some mornings I feel very wobbly as it can go down to the low 50s, with below 60 considered below normal. I am now 72 and have wondered about my heart function. I do wonder if I should go to the GP to ask for this to be investigated, though at present I am waiting a repeat of the haemoglobin test and may contact the GP after that has been done. UK GPs are over busy and not very responsive, but mine is pretty good, and I also have access to a private GP if not.

Garz

these days CBC's are done by automated machine

i don't think they can reliably count platelets if they are activated and clumping / aggregating

something they do when triggered by inflammation, clotting, pathogens etc

i have a chronic bacterial infection that was driving CFS/ME symptoms matching all of the symptoms surveys here perfectly - including PEM

my platelet counts would occasionally be low - or low normal

i would also occasionally have other mild anomalies - suggesting something going on in my blood- high or low haematocrit, haemoglobin etc - but never far out of range - not enough for my GP to take any notice

but when i looked at my blood properly under a microscope - like CBC's used to be done - there was no shortage of platelets - they were just all clumped together in one large mass
IMG_3966.JPG

Back