• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you lose your voice when you crash/PEM?

jesse's mom

When I am in a PEM state and have talked too much, my speech is getting slurred and shaky. Stuttering and it is a bit scary. I get word salad on some days. I am thinking straight, but the words come out all wrong. Still hoarse but the nasal drainage has backed off and I am not getting a sore throat nearly as much now that I am avoiding sugar and wheat.

It is interesting that I can type and the words come out just fine.

Pacing is the only thing I have found that helps with my speech. Resting before I am tired.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
@jesse's mom I get those symptoms, too. I have wondered if those symptoms are due to falling blood sugar, or hypoglycemia in the brain.

Being very measured in energy expenditure, and not letting others "use me up" is my strategy, until I can rest.

Rufous McKinney

I don't "lose" my voice but speaking becomes a very tiring endeavour.

Severe sore throat is a key symptom here and worsens severely when crashing (EBV-type here). I now understand I can no longer hide the illness: as my voice is so shot. Clearly: something is very wrong there.

A two hour lunch chat with friend leads to like a total laryngitis for numerous hours, severe pain, I have to cease any speaking whatsoever. Might as well have strep, but after a few hours later it calms a bit.

My voice also has to be primed. It doesn't want to come out. So I have to speak louder to get it to come out. So then the suggestion I am : agitated or worked up.

It feels likely its severely inflamed and swollen so if there are "cords" they are: tangled, conflicted, colliding. Plus my lymph is quite stagnent and alot of swollen lymph nodes: they are likely mixed into this swelling and non-operation.