• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dental work was very painful

drob31

I knew my gums and teeth weren't in great shape. Actually, if I smile, my teeth look pretty good, and they are really strong, but my gums have been inflamed for a while. I just got a teeth cleaning today and it was very painful and bloody. I wonder if the gums and teeth are where a pathogen lies that has been causing some issues with energy and fatigue.

I haven't had a cleaning in 6 years, although I do brush 1-2x a day, and sometimes use mouthwash.

Similar experiences? Teeth cleaning were never painful in the past.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Hey I have gingivitis too, and yes any dental procedure is hellish. I can only advice that brushing, although important hasnt made me improve, but I have seen some "gains" with specialized mouthwashes such as clorhexidine. I dont think this is a root cause but rather a consequence of inflammation and/or dysfunction elsewhere. Particularly, I suspect my GERD is to blame for my gum inflammation because it alteres the "oral microbiome" with stomach acid and digestive bacteria.

So in a nutshell I believe gum inflammation is just another symptom of the larger disease, but perhaps treating it can be a step in the right direction, and certainly will make you more comfortable.

IreneF

If your gums are inflamed a cleaning will be painful. Did the hygienist give you any tips on flossing, anything like that?

My dad lost several teeth due to gum disease. After that he was obsessive about cleaning his teeth. There was no underlying cause other than poor dental hygiene. In fact, my mom once told me that your gums are supposed to bleed when you brush them. No wonder my parents's generation had so many crowns, bridges, and dentures.

Your mouth is just an ideal place for bacteria to live and grow.

drob31

Do you floss your teeth everyday? That will definitely help to reduce gum disease.

No, not every day. I've never really had issues with them until I started having fatigue issues. I had mono 2 months ago, and it made everything explode in my mouth, infections and everything. So I don't think it's my hygiene.

Gingergrrl

Is there any chance it's an allergic reaction? When my MCAS is flared up, not only does my throat get swollen but my gums and roof of mouth can get red, swollen or angiodema. It can sometimes help me to gargle with salt water (in addition to taking needed meds of course). Have not gone to dentist in two years b/c too afraid I'd get a very bad allergic reaction from whatever products he uses but I do floss every single day which seems to help.