• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Activity Patterns and HR variability study (can be done from home)

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
https://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=9104592&icde=31673366
Title: ME/CFS: ACTIVITY PATTERNS AND AUTONOMIC DYSFUNCTION
DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Given the enduring debilitation and poor quality of life in ME/CFS, this study proposes to identify important activity patterns (e.g., push-crash), negative life events and autonomic dysfunction that may be associated with non-improvement. This will be accomplished with weekly online diaries, objective measures (actigraphy, heart rate monitors) and semi-structured phone interviews.

Non-improvement is a rarely studied, but commonly reported outcome in this illness. For both naturalistic studies and behavioral intervention trials, roughly 50% of ME/CFS patients report worsening or unchanged illness. Also, the patient's self-management efforts may (paradoxically) produce symptom worsening and contribute to illness non-improvement. Non-improvement may also have biological relevance because activity limitations and sleep disruption in ME/CFS have both been associated with autonomic dysregulation (reduced heart rate variability). This (R01) prospective observational six month study of both daily and weekly in vivo assessments would be the first to look at non-improvement in relation to ongoing patient activities and autonomic function.

Specific Aim 1: To assess the relation between non-improvement and prospectively assessed activity patterns and life events.

Hypothesis 1: Non-improvement will be significantly associated with these dimensional variables: (a) illness-exacerbating activity patterns (e.g., "push-crash") reported on home web diaries; (b) daily hassles assessed in web diaries; and (c) negative life events reported in phone interviews.

Specific Aim 2: To assess the relation between improvement and prospectively assessed activity patterns and life events.

Hypothesis 2: Improvement will be significantly associated with: (a) illness-moderating activity patterns (e.g., healthy pacing) reported on home web diaries; (b) daily uplifts assessed in web diaries; and (c) positive life events assessed in phone interviews.

Specific Aim 3: To assess the relation between activity patterns and symptoms.

Hypothesis 3: (a) the "push- crash" pattern will predict greater actigraphy variability and symptom variability; (b) the "limiting activity" pattern will be associated with very low actigraphy counts and high symptom severity; and (c) a healthier "pacing" pattern will be associated with moderate variability of actigraphy and symptoms. Our secondary aim hypothesizes that autonomic dysregulation (reduced heart rate variability) will be characteristic of both non-improvers and patients with a limiting activity pattern as compared to improvers and those with a healthy pacing pattern.

The long-range goal is to develop a new self-management protocol that more clearly identifies non-improvement activities and how they can be changed. An important aspect of this new self-management protocol would be to identify early signals of impending relapse, particularly HRV status, via home-use portable devices that could be utilized by patients and their doctors as a warning to modify non- improvement activities, e.g., excessive activity or exercise, to prevent behavioral collapse into inactivity.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Brought to you by Fred Friedberg.

Interestingly (and I don't think I'm alone) positive life events cause me to crash as much as anything negative --- it's all energy expended. You would think FF would know better by now.

I wouldn't recommend participation. I think this type of setup to collect information is bound to provide the data they're looking for to come to (poorly)preconceived conclusions.

The thing about this type of research also is that you never really have to deal with the sick person--not in a way that offers any real insight (should they stop to look) into daily functioning. Self reporting is (once given to the researcher to view) all abstract and sanitised for consumption. And the results can be interpreted as wrong thinking rather than actual disability although I suppose that there have been health professionals who've looked after PwME and managed the same deranged thinking (I'd like to think that's it's harder to do).

I'm not comfortable that this will have any positive impact for people with ME. We need so much more.

ETA All these people keep focussing on lifestyle improvements. For some of us sadly there is little that can be done in this regard. Maybe the mildly affected have a different perspective.
But I'm tired of seeing this type of research.

Groggy Doggy

No thanks, this is an example of wasting tax payer dollars. Fred ought to do something useful for us, for a change, like give the $1.5M he took from the NIH and give it to Ron Davis (where it will get the best bang for the buck). I think the ME patients, in the US, should get a vote on which NIH studies are funded for the illness we suffer from. We don't need more government bureaucracy.

Last edited:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
(b) the "limiting activity" pattern will be associated with very low actigraphy counts and high symptom severity

I take it he has not heard of Aggressive Rest Therapy. :rolleyes:

Dolphin

via https://cfsme-registry.info

ME/CFS: Activity Patterns and Autonomic Dysfunction

I received an email today from the lead researcher Patricia Bruckenthal that the study is accepting participants and will continue to do so into 2018.

Brief Summary:

The purpose of this study is to identify daily activity patterns, negative life events and autonomic abnormalities that may be related to non-improvement in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). For both naturalistic studies and behavioral intervention trials, roughly 50% of patients report worsening or unchanged illness. The proposed four year study would be the first to look at the relation between illness non-improvement, patient activities at home and autonomic function. Our long-range goal is to identify physiological signals and activity patterns that predict non-improvement and relapse and develop a self-management program that prescribes improvement-linked behaviors and discourages non-improvement activities.

Detailed Description:
Given the enduring debilitation and poor quality of life in ME/CFS, this study proposes to identify important activity patterns (e.g., push-crash), negative life events and autonomic dysfunction that may be associated with non-improvement. This will be accomplished with weekly online diaries, objective measures (actigraphy, heart rate monitors) and semi-structured phone interviews. Non-improvement is a rarely studied, but commonly reported outcome in this illness. For both naturalistic studies and behavioral intervention trials, roughly 50% of ME/CFS patients report worsening or unchanged illness. Also, the patient's self-management efforts may (paradoxically) produce symptom worsening and contribute to illness non-improvement. Non-improvement may also have biological relevance because activity limitations and sleep disruption in ME/CFS have both been associated with autonomic dysregulation (reduced heart rate variability). This (R01) prospective observational six month study of both daily and weekly in vivo assessments would be the first to look at non-improvement in relation to ongoing patient activities and autonomic function.

Specific Aim 1: To assess the relation between non-improvement and prospectively assessed activity patterns and life events. Hypothesis 1: Non-improvement will be significantly associated with these dimensional variables: (a) illness-exacerbating activity patterns (e.g., "push-crash") reported on home web diaries; (b) daily hassles assessed in web diaries; and (c) negative life events reported in phone interviews.

Specific Aim 2: To assess the relation between improvement and prospectively assessed activity patterns and life events. Hypothesis 2: Improvement will be significantly associated with: (a) illness-moderating activity patterns (e.g., healthy pacing) reported on home web diaries; (b) daily uplifts assessed in web diaries; and (c) positive life events assessed in phone interviews.

Specific Aim 3: To assess the relation between activity patterns and symptoms. Hypothesis 3: (a) the "push-crash" pattern will predict greater actigraphy variability and symptom variability; (b) the "limiting activity" pattern will be associated with very low actigraphy counts and high symptom severity; and (c) a healthier "pacing" pattern will be associated with moderate variability of actigraphy and symptoms.

Our secondary aim hypothesizes that autonomic dysregulation (reduced heart rate variability [HRV]) will be characteristic of both non-improvers and patients with a limiting activity pattern as compared to improvers and those with a healthy pacing pattern. The long-range goal is to develop a new self-management protocol that more clearly identifies non-improvement activities and how they can be changed. An important aspect of this new self-management protocol would be to identify early signals of impending relapse, particularly HRV status, via home-use portable devices that could be utilized by patients and their doctors as a warning to modify non-improvement activities, e.g., excessive activity or exercise, to prevent behavioral collapse into inactivity.

Study Design:

• Study Type : Observational
  • Estimated Enrollment : 150 participants
  • Observational Model: Case Control
  • Time Perspective: Prospective
  • Official Title: ME/CFS: Activity Patterns and Autonomic Dysfunction
  • Study Start Date : June 2016
  • Estimated Primary Completion Date : December 2019
  • Estimated Study Completion Date : May 2020
Eligibility Criteria:

• Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years to 65 Years (Adult)
    Sexes Eligible for Study: All
  • Accepts Healthy Volunteers: No
  • Sampling Method: Non-Probability Sample

Inclusion Criteria:

Fukuda-based ME/CFS symptoms including:

• six months of unexplained, debilitating fatigue
  • 4/8 secondary symptoms impaired memory or concentration unrefreshing sleep sore throats headache muscle pain joint pain tender lymph nodes post-exertional malaise
Exclusion Criteria:

Medical: fatigue clearly attributable to self-report medical conditions.

Psychiatric any psychosis alcohol/ substance abuse within two years prior or after illness onset. depression with melancholic/psychotic features within 5 years of onset .

Two other exclusionary criteria:

• patients not dose-stabilized for at least 3 months on antidepressants
  • patients at risk of suicide or need of urgent psychiatric treatment.
Contacts
Contact: Particia Bruckenthal, PhD, RN 631-444-1172 particia.bruckenthal@stonybrook.edu

Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York, United States, 11794-8101
Principal Investigator: Fred Friedberg, PhD