• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coxsackievirus B ramps up glycolysis in cells for its own purposes, but glycolysis inhibitors reduce CVB viral replication

Hip

It just occurred to that this down-regulation of viral intracellular immunity caused by lactate from glycolysis could perhaps explain PEM.

When you exercise, you tend to release a lot of lactate. This lactate may then suppress intracellular immunity, allowing the viral infections to proliferate.

Murph

:)
I'd like to offer an anecdote that could provide support for the theory of lipo-poly-saccharides (LPS) in the blood making things worse.

I have to eat a low-FODMAP diet to avoid digestive issues. If I eat fodmaps, my digestion suffers, but so does my general fatigue. I get PEM symptoms on an extremely gentle trigger if my digestion is already upset.

Now, it's believed that the gut will leak LPS into the blood when digestion is disturbed. So perhaps *if* LPS leaks into the blood after i eat fodmaps, the mechanism by which it makes me feel worse is by increasing cellular glycolysis, and thereby increasing viral replciation? It's a theoretical longshot, but not impossible.

Interesting to hear metformin boosts glycolysis which could lead to viral proliferation.

I just came across the attached on Twitter that metformin increases butyrate, which i believe is typically low in pwME. So could have some biome boosting benefits, with the catch 22 caveat that glycolysis could ramp up viral loads.

Attachments

• 97A90053-B5A7-4797-BF7A-CA0C45CF7582.png
    97A90053-B5A7-4797-BF7A-CA0C45CF7582.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • C5A35A01-8CCA-4273-B6F3-F28878436C9D.png
    C5A35A01-8CCA-4273-B6F3-F28878436C9D.png
    1 MB · Views: 6

Hip

Interesting to hear metformin boosts glycolysis which could lead to viral proliferation.

I just came across the attached on Twitter that metformin increases butyrate, which i believe is typically low in pwME. So could have some biome boosting benefits, with the catch 22 caveat that glycolysis could ramp up viral loads.

Some ME/CFS patients instantly feel terrible on metformin, so watch out for that, others are fine with it. I was fine, and I have active coxsackievirus B infection.