• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COVID19 and Melatonin

anne_likes_red

@Gingergrrl I haven't started yet because I have to solve the problem with needing to split my capsules into ten doses each! Based on the suggestion in the evolutamente.it article I was planning on .5 mg per evening though. :)

I'm already taking ascorbic acid....just 1000mg 3 x per day. I have a high tolerance for AA and I've taken up to ten times that amount in the past with no negative effects.

The melatonin capsules I have are tiny. Thorne Melaton-5 was all I could find here. You might be able to find something easier to divide into smaller doses.

Gingergrrl

Based on the suggestion in the evolutamente.it article I was planning on .5 mg per evening though.

I need to go back and look at the original article but is 0.5 mg of Melatonin the dose that it recommended?

I'm already taking ascorbic acid....just 1000mg 3 x per day. I have a high tolerance for AA and I've taken up to ten times that amount in the past with no negative effects.

I take 1000 mg of Vit C once a day.

The melatonin capsules I have are tiny. Thorne Melaton-5 was all I could find here. You might be able to find something easier to divide into smaller doses.

I am going to investigate to see what I can find since Melatonin (in the US) is so easy to find (or at least it was in normal circumstances)!

anne_likes_red

I need to go back and look at the original article but is 0.5 mg of Melatonin the dose that it recommended?

I take 1000 mg of Vit C once a day.

I am going to investigate to see what I can find since Melatonin (in the US) is so easy to find (or at least it was in normal circumstances)!

.2mg - .5 mg, 2 - 3 hours after your evening meal (but before 10pm) is what she recommends, with the dose significantly higher if you contract the virus.
I took it last night - I broke a capsule, shook approx 1/10 the contents under my tongue and put the capsule together again. It didn't taste nasty and about an hour later I couldn't keep my eyes open.
(I could have devised a more high tech way of splitting the contents of the capsules but we are in full lockdown from today and I've had quite a number of things to organise in a hurry.)

Gingergrrl

Thank you, Anne, and that is really helpful. Once I start to research sites for Melatonin (including LEF mentioned by Pamojja) I will update what I find. Can you remind me, are you in Spain?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
New study from Cleveland Clinic yesterday:

Analysis of patient data from Cleveland Clinic's COVID-19 registry also revealed that melatonin usage was associated with a nearly 30 percent reduced likelihood of testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) after adjusting for age, race, smoking history and various disease comorbidities. Notably, the reduced likelihood of testing positive for the virus increased from 30 to 52 percent for African Americans when adjusted for the same variables.

Gingergrrl

@Sushi Do you have a link to the post above (or is it there but I am somehow just not seeing it :headslap:)?

Did it say what dosage of melatonin was effective in those who were taking it? I take 3 mg of melatonin every night but am assuming this would be too low of a dose to mitigate testing positive for COVID?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Did it say what dosage of melatonin was effective in those who were taking it? I take 3 mg of melatonin every night but am assuming this would be too low of a dose to mitigate testing positive for COVID?
I didn’t see a dose but somewhere in that article or another on the subject it said that higher doses would be used for treatment of Covid 19 cases as opposed to he doses for prevention. I think they were just reporting statistics for patients who were melatonin users.

The link is the title of the article.

Gingergrrl

She hid it in the heading.;) If you move your pointer over the heading you'll see it.

thank you and I couldn’t tell that it was a link from my phone but now I see it! :thumbsup:

I didn’t see a dose but somewhere in that article or another on the subject it said that higher doses would be used for treatment of Covid 19 cases as opposed to he doses for prevention. I think they were just reporting statistics for patients who were melatonin users.

That is really interesting and I will definitely continue to take Melatonin every night. It helps to regulate my sleep and circadian rhythm... but now if they are finding that it could also be a COVID preventative, that would be amazing! :star: :star: :star:

Mary

Moderator Resource
This article talks about melatonin and mentions some doses: Therapeutic Algorithm for Use of Melatonin in Patients With COVID-19:

In elderly patients with medical comorbidities, treatment with melatonin is beneficial, as it strengthens the immune response. We suggest a daily dose of ~3 mg to a maximum of 10 mg, 30–60 min before bedtime to better simulate the normal physiological circadian rhythm of melatonin (Figure 1). Furthermore, it may be beneficial in people who are at high risk of contracting COVID-19 infection, local health workers, where preventive treatment with melatonin would favor maximizing the immune response, along with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. A daily dose of roughly 40 mg or higher would not seem an inappropriate amount (Figure 1).