• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could this virus cause ME?

I got very sick with something that seemed like a very nasty seasonal flu expect that it also had a lot of vomiting, which is highly unusual for the flu but not unheard of (e.g., sometimes happened with H1N1 swine flu). While I began experiencing symptoms after this, there were other things that happened around the same time (e.g., major exposure to mold) that may be the culprit.

While I have been diagnosed with CFS, we aren't sure yet if it is actually ME (myalgic encephalopathy) or something else with a similar symptom profile.

Do some of the ME-linked viruses have symptoms like this?

BTW, what were the symptoms like in people who got ME during the outbreak in Incline Village, Nevada in late 1984 to early 1985?

Thanks for any insight you can share with me.

Hip

I got very sick with something that seemed like a very nasty seasonal flu expect that it also had a lot of vomiting, which is highly unusual for the flu

A flu-like illness with vomiting and diarrhea is typical of enterovirus, one of the major viruses linked to ME/CFS.

Testing for enterovirus in ME/CFS is more difficult than testing for herpesvirus. Some details on how to test given in the coxsackievirus B and echovirus section of my roadmap doc.

@Hip, thanks for your reply.

Does anyone know what type of virus caused the ME outbreak in Incline Village, Nevada that occurred during late 1984 and early 1985? (Or is this even known?)