• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cortisol and anxiety?

Long story short I've had anxiety all my life. Been on medicine all my life and has always done the trick to take the edge off. Plus calming my self down to take away the rest. For almost a year now I have been waking up to a pounding and heavy heart beat, sick stomach and then shortly have to take a soft stool. It started off just in the mornings here and there. But it's to the point where it's every morning, and then all day my heart feels like it's beating hard, heavy feeling in my chest, stomach feels weak, loss of appetite as well, and pain in my mid back. Also if had an ekg on my heart and it's fine. I've had numerous colonoscopies as well for my stomach, and endoscopy as well. Everything came back fine. I've been reading a lot about cortisol levels and it sounds a lot like what it could be. Would anyone else agree? I eat clean, work out daily. Get plenty of sleep. Everything else has been checked. I recently started trt treatment and have TONS of bloodwork by both my family doctor and endocrinologist

barbc56

@Modifiedamerican

There are so many things that cause anxiety, it would be impossible to even hazard a guess.

Anxiety can be like a self feeding loop increasing in intensity as time goes by. Sometimes this cycle need to be broken by anxiety medications at least for the short term.

Have you had a complete physical with bloodtests? I think that would be a good place to start.

Hope things go well and keep us posted! Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Barb

ETA

There's an introduce yourself forum where you can post more about yourself. It's always nice to get to know new members. :)

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?forums/introduce-yourself.35/

Last edited:
Yea I've Tons of blood work done. Just recently to. I was just put on testosterone replacement therapy as well. So I've had alont of blood work done. I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder when I was 15. Been put on medication and it worked pretty well until about a year ago. Nothing has helped. The problem I'm having currently I don't feel is what most people would describe as anxiety. I've felt with anxiety all my life and know how to calm my self down. What triggers and what doesn't. I'm not anxious about anything. In waking up out of a dead sleep with my heart beating heavy, sick stomach and anxious. But I have no reason to be. I was reading about cortisol and what it can do and I have ALOT of the symptoms.