• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Constant dry mouth, frequent clear urination, unable to hydrate, what is going on?

Replenished

I measured my fluid intake and output for the past 2 days, and it's way lower than I thought. Urinating less than 2 litres and and drinking about the same amount.

So this appears relatively normal and i'm not losing loads of fluid like I was when this apparent Diabetes Insipidus started. Clearly I don't have diabetes insipidus but some other cause for feeling dry and thirsty all the time as well as periods of dumping out clear urine.

Even though my urine output has been pretty low, the urine is not particularly concentrated and my mouth is completely dry. I'm lost!

vision blue

So that's not unlike what happens to me-low volume but dilute. . as i had mentined, when i looked that up they suggested a particular kidney malfunctioning whose name i don't rmemeber off the top of my head (not a specific diagnosis, just general ballpark) My volume was even lower last time i checked 1.5 liters, but more normallly i'm also at the 2.0 liter mark.
I'll read through this again when i get a chance to see what all your numbers are like creatinine and BUN in serum. Do you have dryness besides mouth. i know your SSA and ANA were negative, but still may be relevent info.
What happens when you have salt?

Replenished

So that's not unlike what happens to me-low volume but dilute. . as i had mentined, when i looked that up they suggested a particular kidney malfunctioning whose name i don't rmemeber off the top of my head (not a specific diagnosis, just general ballpark) My volume was even lower last time i checked 1.5 liters, but more normallly i'm also at the 2.0 liter mark.
I'll read through this again when i get a chance to see what all your numbers are like creatinine and BUN in serum. Do you have dryness besides mouth. i know your SSA and ANA were negative, but still may be relevent info.
What happens when you have salt?

Thanks vision. If you do recall the name for that particular kidney malfunction, please do let me know.

The last blood test I actually had was over a year ago but I just checked and my creatinine level was high at 110 umol/L. This was never mentioned by my doctors I suppose as it's only just out of normal range. My BUN level (which I think they call Serum urea here in the UK) was 7.2 mmol/L. So at the high end of normal.

Any other dryness than my mouth. Hmmm. Just generally feeling dehydrated and weak. Nose can sometimes be a bit dry but nothing significant. No dry eyes or anything like that. Just feels like a lack of saliva in the mouth.

Sorry what is SSA and ANA?

For me it seems eating is one of the things that decreases the dryness and urination. If I regularly don't eat it's far worse.

Last edited:

Replenished

What is the easiest pathway in the UK for me to get some consistent thorough blood tests? My Endocrinologist has done one blood test in 2 years and is now wanting to refer me on to somebody else as she says this is outside of her area of expertise.

Treeman

What is the easiest pathway in the UK for me to get some consistent thorough blood tests? My Endocrinologist has done one blood test in 2 years and is now wanting to refer me on to somebody else as she says this is outside of her area of expertise.

Hi, I keep going back to my GP and telling them I feel unwell (I do feel unwell, I've got ME/CFS!) and they carry out various blood test. Tailor your symptoms to the blood test you need. They did find many other things due to these tests.

vision blue

HI. So they should not have ignored your creatinine even if only a little out of range- but they ignore tons they should not. If you have access to past tests, it may be worth looking through them and graphing them (creatinine and BUN) especially to see if there's a trend and over what time period. The fact they are high or high end of normal certainly suggests need to consider kidneys as source of issue.

If you are very large and/or large mucsle mass, your creatinine will be higher just from that. so can take that into consideration.

ANA = antinuclear antibody and SS-A is one of the sjogrens syndrom (SS) antibodies. But looking more like kidney issue.

on the eating, though, specifically salt. waht does salt do? if things working well, salt should cause you to hang on to more fluid. does it work? is urine any more concentrated when you have. so compare meals with low /no salt vs meals with higher salt.

My usual salkt intake is very low- i tried and was suprised i actually did have more cioncentrated urine than usual. . So maybe alittle bit is working for me (doenstn' rule out kideny disease though)

This is not the best site
https://healthfully.com/causes-high-level-bun-creatine-5566023.html
but can get an idea-i.e. there's a zillion sites on creatine and bun and what they might mean.

if dehydrated, see what salt does? let me know. So eat something salty at dinner, and the next morning, see if urine is more concentrated than usual- and how you feel?

Replenished

HI. So they should not have ignored your creatinine even if only a little out of range- but they ignore tons they should not. If you have access to past tests, it may be worth looking through them and graphing them (creatinine and BUN) especially to see if there's a trend and over what time period. The fact they are high or high end of normal certainly suggests need to consider kidneys as source of issue.

If you are very large and/or large mucsle mass, your creatinine will be higher just from that. so can take that into consideration.

ANA = antinuclear antibody and SS-A is one of the sjogrens syndrom (SS) antibodies. But looking more like kidney issue.

on the eating, though, specifically salt. waht does salt do? if things working well, salt should cause you to hang on to more fluid. does it work? is urine any more concentrated when you have. so compare meals with low /no salt vs meals with higher salt.

My usual salkt intake is very low- i tried and was suprised i actually did have more cioncentrated urine than usual. . So maybe alittle bit is working for me (doenstn' rule out kideny disease though)

This is not the best site
https://healthfully.com/causes-high-level-bun-creatine-5566023.html
but can get an idea-i.e. there's a zillion sites on creatine and bun and what they might mean.

if dehydrated, see what salt does? let me know. So eat something salty at dinner, and the next morning, see if urine is more concentrated than usual- and how you feel?

Hi Vision, salt doesnt seem to help at all. I've tried lots of salt, even drinking water with some sea salt added. No help unfortunately.

To me if feels as though i'm very sensitive to fluid intake. Say if I do stop drinking for a long period of time and once in a while my urine does concentrate and become dark coloured. Even if I am super dehydrated. If I have a tiny bit of water say even qaurter of a cup, it will instantly pass through and my urine will be clear. Yet clearly I am not hydrated from that tiny amount of water. It's as though fluid intake shuts of vasopressin far to easily.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@Replenished, I found this quote today on a LLMD's (Lyme Literate MD's) website, "Thiamine also plays a role in the flow of electrolytes that move in and out of muscle and nerve cells."

There was a Thiamine thread started recently and I did try it for a day or two but may go back to trying it again to see if it helps with this.

I drink a lot of liquid but my skin is always so dry and I do feel thirsty a lot.

(My sugar levels are always good when I've been checked for them so I do not think it is diabetes. Which of course, I would guess would probably be another thing to check for if you haven't been checked already.)

Edit: I think this is the Thiamine thread I was talking about: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...e-article-on-eonnutrition.83706/#post-2337418