• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Collagen Powder - Anyone Find It Helpful?

Nacht Segler

ME/CFS Since Early 2000s
I'm looking at taking a collagen powder supplement and was just wondering if anyone else has found it helpful.

If you have, please note the brand.

Thanks.

BrightCandle

I take a pot of it every now and then. It seems to do two things, improves my skin and can ease upper back pain and clicking problems. I don't so it all the time as I gain weight every time I do it for some reason but I will run through collagen peptides for a few weeks a couple of times a year from a variety of brands.

Nacht Segler

ME/CFS Since Early 2000s
I take a pot of it every now and then. It seems to do two things, improves my skin and can ease upper back pain and clicking problems. I don't so it all the time as I gain weight every time I do it for some reason but I will run through collagen peptides for a few weeks a couple of times a year from a variety of brands.
Good to know on the skin. I have found it interesting how well my anti-inflammatory diet ties in with skin care, and I have been working with essences for skin care with regards to my tattoos when I get them. (I also have a hand cream I put on them which helps them heal fast.)

I will be getting myself a container and see how it helps me out.

Rufous McKinney

a collagen powder supplement

Your post simply got me think ing about where does all this collagen powder come from?

And the answer is not pretty.

I made my own bone broth for a while...so I knew where my bone came from. I have not been doing that lately.

Wondering if grass fed, organic collagen exists...(apparently BLEACH is used)...AND this brand which sounds good, is talking about teaming with Brazilian cattle ranchers.

https://norcal-organic.com/products/collagen-peptides?variant=41512395859

Nacht Segler

ME/CFS Since Early 2000s
I made my own bone broth for a while...so I knew where my bone came from. I have not been doing that lately.
I have 2 small cartons of bone broth and opened one yesterday after seeing your response (and was reminded of them).

Could one just use bone broth instead? The cartons have 5.5g, which I guess isn't much compared to a powder. I figured I could experiment doing two weeks using that, and then see.

The powder I was looking at was a combination of bovine, fish, and chicken.

Nacht Segler

ME/CFS Since Early 2000s
Just posting an update on my use of a collagen creamer I got at a discount store.

It's really helping this one surgical scar that's big, fill in and smooth out nice. It's doing the same for another surgical scar as well, that's smaller.

I chose to get myself a collagen cream to put right on the scars after seeing how well this is helping them. The 10 grams of protein is a bonus.