• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cognitive- Do you forget what you learn because of CFS?

taniaaust1

All of us who find watching TV not easy, makes a comment a Nutritionist I'd been sent to **insert your word(s) here, cant think of the words Im trying to say..severe brain fog today** , she said People get ME/CFS from watching too much TV and if you dont watch so much, you will recover.

(I wish I'd put in a complaint over her and that comment, she actually write it in her report).

Firestormm

For the record: I also manage to 'step outside of myself' with a novel or even a walk outdoors - anything to 'escape' every now and again when one is able. Of course when cognitive issues are at their most annoying - reading even a novel or watching any TV or Film is harder. Though now, it isn't impossible for me - thank the gods :)

Brain fog is so real. This has to be one my most devastating symptom. I can't recall information quick enough.

Not processing information quick enough, e.g..not being quick on your feet is that normal? Is this one of brain fog symptoms?

taniaaust1

Brain fog is so real. This has to be one my most devastating symptom. I can't recall information quick enough.

Not processing information quick enough, e.g..not being quick on your feet is that normal? Is this one of brain fog symptoms?

Brain fog to me is far more then just being about not being able to recall info quickly. It often means I dont recall the info I need at the time at all till after I've left the person I would of liked to have said something too. Not processing info quickly is a part of brain fog but it has very real noticable affects. People often call me "blonde" due to it.

Brain fog means I can get my words wrong and come out saying very wrong things eg even the opposite to what I meant to say and often due to the brainfog, I dont even notice Im getting what I say wrong. If Im in a group of people talking, it can mean I dont get to speak at all (as Im behind in the convo so by the time I've thought to say something, to convo has moved on).

Mind fog causes one to screw up so many things in life as one is going about in like a daze.
Mind fog = going to the supermarket to buy apples to make an apple pie but ending up coming home with bread (when one already has a couple of loaves in the freezer).

Antares in NYC

Yes, RedLineBoy. Brain fog makes me slow to think, slow to act, forget things constantly, difficult to recall names or express things, difficult to read, difficult to follow narratives, etc. At its worst, brain fog even makes me slur my speech. To me, this is the worst part of this disease, but my crushing fatigue has not rendered me bedridden, unlike others less fortunate. Knock on wood!

I read these comments, wanted to add my own, but had to log in. I forgot my password, so I went through the motions of requesting a temporary password, which was sent to me in an email. In the meantime I got distracted by another open browser page and forgot what I was doing. When I came back to this page I had forgotten why I wanted to log in. ;) I suffer more and more from memory loss all the time. It is difficult for me to remember things from my distant past, and memories of trips and/or places get jumbled together. I have trouble remembering who people are, not just their name, but where I know them from when I run into someone unexpectedly, and this sends a shock wave of anxiety through me, which doesn't help. Short term memory loss is also apparent, so it is very challenging to read and retain information or follow directions. I also have difficulty with comprehension, which I never had before. Another cognitive issue I have, and this is somewhat related to memory, is that I have what I call Directional Dyslexia. I have very little sense of how things relate spatially, and this has been happening for years, but is worse on my bad days. I can get to familiar places from other familiar locations, but if/when I try to start somewhere else I am really challenged. Sometimes I even have problems finding my way to the front of a large store. In my past I traveled extensively for two of my jobs, and it was during my final job that I really noticed this becoming a problem. That was just before I was forced to leave due to the progression of illness. I was once an audiologist and then worked for a pharmaceutical giant, and in both careers I did a great deal of educating and public speaking. It is shocking how much capability I have lost because of this illness.

Claudia Goodell, How do you deal with this disease? You've already had so much in life and you seem to lost all. You've were an audiologist and i'm sure you worked so hard to get to that point.

I just hate the fact that I can not quick think enough when my brain power is required.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I think I have had some brain fog all my life looking at what people describe, although nowadays is worse logically. When I was a kid I couldn´t come up with witty responses at the moment when I was challenged and took a long time to craft them. I also already forgot things, lost stuff, create messes and what not. Once I lost myself in this city in which I have lived always. Some of this is definitely genetic, as my sister and brother are also a "disaster" (they also have haggard face from shitty sleep and aren´t very athletic).

The sunny side is that I feel brainfog is reversible at least to some extent, some brain chemicals or somethin´ that needs a fix. For example low pregnenolone (which I have) gives you cognitve decline, but the possibilities are multiple having in mind vitamins, neuros, brain inflammation and stuff.

@Barrie Absolutely true. Personally I am prepared to accept my limitations. I used to think I was smart enough to draw myself out of this hole, but that has only sank me deeper. I might be smart, but with all this brainfog and desperation my decisions aren´t... I would love to have a real doctor to do the readings and the planning for me, someone that sleeps well and is not an impulsive wretch.

Last edited: