• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic Vertigo

Mariah

How do you all feel when you close your eyes and lie down? I often feel worse. My bed is being dragged in one direction, my limbs in several different directions and my head is spinning. I feel like I can`t get any rest. It`s bad when my eyes are open too, but at least then I have my eyes to "orientate" me in the world. When my eyes are closed and I lie down I feel completely cut off from reality.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I feel much worse when I lie down, I was told by a neurologist it was due to inflammation coming from the spine, educated guess??? who knows. I dread going to bed.. my GP asked me if I ever napped during the day, as if... I refuse to lie down ever until I really have to go to bed. I used to love my bed, lovely long lie-ins, now I'm up as soon as I open my eyes....its a horrible way to live.

Mariah

Same with me @maryb .Quite a horrible way to live yes, and especially when you have an illness that requires you to lie down and rest a lot. I feel at my wits end sometimes. Hoping and praying the Rituxan works.

outdamnspot

Hi, I don't think these would be classified as vertigo per se, but I suffer from two neurological sensations that I was wondering if anyone has experienced.

1. A feeling of being off-balance/pulled-to-the-side when walking? I've read that this can be connected to the thyroid.

2. A feeling of being pulled downwards by gravity (when sitting, standing, lying etc.). I never feel 'still'. It's like I'm always on a theme park ride or something.

Not sure if #2 is related to #1. Curiously, when I had no coffee tolerance and it 'fixed' all my adrenal fatigue symptoms for a week, I found I could stand and move around with far more ease.

outdamnspot

@outdamnspot Yeah, I have both these sensations, especially #2. I relate this strongly to my natutical vertigo.

Are they related to POTS, or something else? Like I said, I've heard the pulling can be thyroid. It's really distressing for me. I've wondered if I'll ever feel normal again.

Mariah

@outdamnspot I have no idea what my vertigo stems from, other than that it originates in my central nervous system and not from my ear. No one can tell me much more than that. But some of my ME doctors hypothesize that it is caused by reduced blood flow to the balance center in the brain. Definitely not thyroid related in my case.

godlovesatrier

Just out of interest did anyone on this thread figure out a disease or a cause of their dizziness or a central nervous system disease or virus that was causing there symptoms?

Or did you find anything that eventually helped? I've noticed that since I started the Joshua Leisk protocol it's calmed right down. I don't think it's auto immune because the auto immune members who tried it got way way worse. Unsurprisingly it did nothing for them. For me it would come on after a viral infection for a few weeks. But now it only comes on through exertion that's near the edge of my energy envelope. However I managed to quadrouple my energy envelope last year on the protocol and I'm still not entirely sure how.

Thanks for any updates.

Strawberry

Ok I’m posting this here in hopes it can help someone else.

I just got back from driving all by myself from Seattle to Northern California in a monster motorhome. While driving south, I had many terrifying moments of vertigo and panic attacks with bridges and slopes.

I mentioned it to my daughter as she was driving me over the reservoir, and she told me to try her magnetic bracelet that was in the console/ center box. Didn’t have a panic attack going over the Auburn bridge. And she did the math that said it would take 22 seconds to reach the bottom from the bridge deck. BIG BRIDGE! And it was probably the worst time I had of the entire drive, driving that in my motorhome.

Anyway, winds up being I had brought my own magnetic bracelet and copper bracelets, so I put them on when I left. I must admit I totally enjoyed the view driving over the Auburn bridge when I left. VERY SURPRISED! Driving northbound was a completely different subject. I still had terrifying moments, but none was from vertigo or panic attack.

kewia

Additional post, my vertigo seems to be connected to my neck instability/AAI. But the magnets and copper helped immensely.

This is very interesting, @Strawberry.
Where do you wear your bracelets?

Another medicament is vertigoheel from Heel.
It's a homeopathic medicament where we can expect fewer side effects. There is one case study where a patient got psychosis from it, though it wasn't observed in the other clinical trials.

I tried it but got severe migraine after. Maybe I will try again later.

In my opinion, many with vertigo are affected by things that a cranial osteopath (and some chiropractors and others) can help with.

Mold exposure can be a possible cause as well. Some people don't realize they are having exposure because the mold is only in the hidden areas of their washer, etc.

Smaller and simpler things which can be significant include vitamin D3 levels, B12 levels, magnesium, and iron. I was eating lots of foods with iron in them (and would test as having normal iron levels) but still improved with iron pills.

Last edited:

kewia

In my opinion, many with vertigo are affected by things that a cranial osteopath (and some chiropractors and others) can help with.

Good point.
For me, however, the swelling is too deep to get massaged out. Further, massaging techniques yielding only a temporary effect.
Anyway, it is worth to give try for it.